Donation

Author Topic: Washburn N24 pickup suggestions  (Read 106 times)

Offline ledvedder

• View Profile
Washburn N24 pickup suggestions
« on: November 22, 2018, 01:15:09 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm considering replacing the pickups in my N24. The stock Washburn neck pickup is not very good. Very dull sounding. I might give the L500XL in the bridge a bit more time before deciding if I want to replace it. But I definitely want to replace the neck pickup. This guitar is made of agathis wood.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Offline Brooklyn_Bean

• View Profile
Re: Washburn N24 pickup suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 01:49:31 pm »
What time are you looking for? A round mound of neck sound, or something more cutting and articulate? The first pickups that came to mind were Humbucker From Hell and he illuminator.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 05:42:01 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm considering replacing the pickups in my N24. The stock Washburn neck pickup is not very good. Very dull sounding. I might give the L500XL in the bridge a bit more time before deciding if I want to replace it. But I definitely want to replace the neck pickup. This guitar is made of agathis wood.

Any suggestions?

I seem to remember that I put a Manlius T-Top replica in the neck of mine.

A possible fun option to pair with the L500 XL bridge is the Dean DMT Michael Batio HWS neck, which Batio says is modeled after his favorite Lawrence-era OBL neck pickup.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline ledvedder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:48:25 pm »

Any suggestions?

I seem to remember that I put a Manlius T-Top replica in the neck of mine.

A possible fun option to pair with the L500 XL bridge is the Dean DMT Michael Batio HWS neck, which Batio says is modeled after his favorite Lawrence-era OBL neck pickup.
I've never heard of these.

Offline darkbluemurder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 05:24:02 am »
The OBL pickups (OBL standing for Original Bill Lawrence) came out in 1986 and were quite popular in Germany. There were the L-500 humbuckers, the L-900 humbuckers and the L-250 single coils with dual blades. All came in R (rhythm), L (lead) and XL variants. I still have an L-500 XL but it's not in any guitar currently.

Be careful with the L-500 if you want to use it in the neck spot as it is deeper than most humbuckers - check the cavity depth.

Cheers Stephan
Own: Area 67, Area 61, Area 58, VV Pro 54, Injector n, HB2, Cruisers, VSolo, SDS-1, Area T set, Virtual Hot T, Chopper, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super D, DLX+, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, VHPAF, AT-1, Morse set
Owned: PAF Pro, Fred, Mega Drive, HS-1, HS-3T, Shock Wave set, Tone Zone

Offline darkbluemurder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 05:29:34 am »
Forgot to add a pickup recommendation :)

I could not get any info on the stock N24 neck pickup. The earlier N4 Nuno signature model had a Seymour Duncan 59 there so the stock pickup may be close to that. What would be brighter in the DiMarzio line - Bluesbucker, definitely. Keep in mind that L-500XL is a loud pickup so you may want to consider something hotter like the Breed neck.

Cheers Stephan
Own: Area 67, Area 61, Area 58, VV Pro 54, Injector n, HB2, Cruisers, VSolo, SDS-1, Area T set, Virtual Hot T, Chopper, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super D, DLX+, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, VHPAF, AT-1, Morse set
Owned: PAF Pro, Fred, Mega Drive, HS-1, HS-3T, Shock Wave set, Tone Zone