Pickup ID Help

• 3 Replies

Offline BigRob

• View Profile
Pickup ID Help
« on: November 12, 2018, 06:47:37 AM »
Hi all, this is my first post and I hope you all might be able to help me, as I'm very much a noob when it comes to pickups.

So I purchased this pickup on eBay a little while back.  It was advertised as a PAF Pro.  As you can see in the picture, the model number on the back has the 151 on a sticker.  Well, someone pointed out that the PAF Pros don't have the pole configuration this one does (one coil with hexes and one with screws).  So I peeled back the sticker and it shows 153 underneath, which is the FRED.  But the FRED also doesn't have this configuration.  And on a multimeter, I'm getting a reading of 8.23.

Any thoughts on what this might be?  Might it just be a PAF that someone changed out the pole pieces on?  Or something else?

Thanks!

Offline BigRob

• View Profile
Re: Pickup ID Help
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »
Anyone?

Strangeman86

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
My guess is non-stock pole pieces, I swap them on most pickups to fine tune to the guitar. As far as paf pro or fred goes, my nerd does not run that deep.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 02:04:36 AM »
The pickup could be a Fred or a PAF Pro but based on the multimeter reading it's likely a PAF Pro with one set of the allen screws replaced as a mod of some sort.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter