Have Transitions: like bridge, but need more treble (neck)

• 5 Replies

Offline SuperFuzz

• View Profile
Have Transitions: like bridge, but need more treble (neck)
« on: November 03, 2018, 06:24:37 AM »
Hi guys,

I bought a Squier HH Jazzmaster Affinity a while ago because I liked the look, feel and playability of the guitar and could not resist at a price below €200. As you might have guessed the electronics are not the best so I switched it out for good stuff and installed a set of Transition pickups that I bought used for a good price. Reviews say they are versatile, so I figured they would be either perfect already or a good starting point to tweak from. Here's my conclusions. Hope you guys who have experience with pickups swapping can help me out. Thanks in advance!

- Transition bridge DP255: I really like this one. It's warm and fat sounding, but not muddy. It is indeed very versatile and dynamic. I think I will keep it. But because we are tweakers at heart: If I could find a pickup that's similar with just a bit more highs than it would be perfect. Norton maybe?

- Transition neck DP254: I don't really like it. The high are rounded off way too much and it has too much of a boost in the bass. Switching from bridge to neck results in a muddy mess. I need a neck pickup that has a lot more highs and less lows/low mid. PAF Pro? 36th neck? Bluesbucker? Air Classic? Which would you pick as the most logical companion to the Tranistion bridge?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Have Transitions: like bridge, but need more treble (neck)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »
Personally I love the Bluesbucker, especially if you're looking for more highs and less lows/mids in the neck position. Would highly recommend it
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:00:27 PM »
Bluesbucker is a great neck offering from DMZ. 
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline SuperFuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »
Thanks guys! Bluesbucker it will be! If the combination with the Transition does not work well then I can put the neck pickup in the bridge. I have a feeling that the Transition neck could be a very good bridge pickup.

Offline harmonics

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 06:25:14 PM »
in the Dimarzio website there is a program to help us to find the best pickups

for me the transition pickups  are with ceramic: maybe they sound colder than the other but it depends on the guitar too
and  for me, if the guitar sounded "dark" "cold",  the best pickups of the world can not change this
paf joe
fred
and now, norton

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »
Hi guys,

I bought a Squier HH Jazzmaster Affinity a while ago because I liked the look, feel and playability of the guitar and could not resist at a price below €200. As you might have guessed the electronics are not the best so I switched it out for good stuff and installed a set of Transition pickups that I bought used for a good price. Reviews say they are versatile, so I figured they would be either perfect already or a good starting point to tweak from. Here's my conclusions. Hope you guys who have experience with pickups swapping can help me out. Thanks in advance!

- Transition bridge DP255: I really like this one. It's warm and fat sounding, but not muddy. It is indeed very versatile and dynamic. I think I will keep it. But because we are tweakers at heart: If I could find a pickup that's similar with just a bit more highs than it would be perfect. Norton maybe?

- Transition neck DP254: I don't really like it. The high are rounded off way too much and it has too much of a boost in the bass. Switching from bridge to neck results in a muddy mess. I need a neck pickup that has a lot more highs and less lows/low mid. PAF Pro? 36th neck? Bluesbucker? Air Classic? Which would you pick as the most logical companion to the Tranistion bridge?
Thanks guys! Bluesbucker it will be! If the combination with the Transition does not work well then I can put the neck pickup in the bridge. I have a feeling that the Transition neck could be a very good bridge pickup.

Hi SuperFuzz! Glad to know I'm not crazy about the Transition neck pickup. All you said about it, is true. I got a PAF Master to replace the Transition in my Flying V guitar. I also believe that neck pickup acts and truly is a bridge pickup. A guitar with two tone knobs is needed to get the best out of that pickup (I think). I really don't like it at all, but I'm sure metalheads could use them. YES! It can get pretty heavy!