Author Topic: Egnater Amp Seminars  (Read 10394 times)

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Egnater Amp Seminars
« on: July 13, 2007, 02:35:10 am »
Well.. I'm off to the July 14/15 Egnater Amp seminars to go learn how to build a high gain amp. If I survive and am able to bring my own hand wired amp back into the country there will be pics galore. If anyone has any issues regarding the forum over the next few days just PM me and I'll get back to you ASAP. Unfortunately the hotel I'm staying at aparently doesn't offer an internet connection so I'll be offline for a few days(feels weird...)

I'll be sure to share my experience working with Bruce Egnater and his seminars after I come back.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline guitarslinger

• View Profile
Re: Egnater Amp Seminars
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:07:53 am »
Well, you survived. ;D

I didn't get home until midnight

my amp sounds killer through my VHT cab though.   Haven't tried any of the EQ's or delays in the loop yet.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:39:02 pm »
Well, you survived. ;D

I didn't get home until midnight

my amp sounds killer through my VHT cab though.   Haven't tried any of the EQ's or delays in the loop yet.

Hey Gene! Great to see you here man!! I had a hell of a time getting my amp back into Canada but it's back none the less.. now I gotta find some space for it!! I'll post some pics soon though.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline guitarslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:05:06 pm »
Me and Bruce:

My amp:

Bruce demonstrating some mods in real time.

The front of the store:

more to come.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 07:00:31 pm »
You beat me to the pics!!

It's a shame we didn't get pics of Bill when he shocked himself on the other filter cap(he's lucky he shorted the one with 374V and only got shocked with the one with 60V).
Follow me on Twitter

Offline krak_down69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:04:28 pm »
You guys BOTH went??

I've been wanting to do the seminar myself ever since I heard about it but I never got around to getting the $1500+ together.. Was it worth the $$$???

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 11:18:26 am »
The Egnater seminar was great. Definitely worth my time and $$ to fly over there to do the seminar with Bruce Egnater. I think I lucked out in this session as it was the last session they were going to do until the summer was over and this session was  more or less the smallest session they had with only 3 people. (Gene[aka. Guitarslinger], Bill, a guy from Alaska who actually drove all the way down to Detroit, and me).

Bruce split up the two day sessions into two different things. On the first day we just went ahead and built our amps without knowing what they did. It was fun and really gave me an idea of how much a pain it is to hand wire everything. The second day was the theorhetical part where Bruce broke down what each section of the amp was and how it worked(as well as possible mods in each section). The second session alone was worth the $1500, but the first section was where I got all the hands on learning and removing any mysterious mojo working on tube amps had. The amp itself sounds killer and the finished product is well worth the money spent on the seminar so if you were thinking of buying a new amp anyways, this is one to get!!

I honestly have to say that I learned a hell of a whole lot during that session and now have full confidence on working on a multitude of amps. But I guess having a bit of an electronics background does help me understand the magic behind the amps. (and when I say electronics background, all I'm saying is having a bit of know-how on how to wire up guitars and mod pedals!!)

I'd highly recommend the seminar if you're thinking of doing it. 'cause if you really think about it, the amp kit alone costs about $950 before shipping so you're really paying about $500 or less for the seminar and it's not just a seminar done by some unknown guy, it's a seminar done by a well known and respected amp designer who knows his $#!T. If Todd Langner, Lee Jackson, Reinhardt Bogner or (insert the name of some other famed amp guy) did a similar seminar, they'd be charging a hell of a lot more.

Attached is a picture of all of us holding our finished amps and Bruce Egnater himself hiding behind Bill & Gene. Aparently, Gene and I are the only ones to actually put our Egnater Logos on the side instead of the middle.

I honestly wish Bruce would do a more advanced class and doing a channel switching amp with even higher gain(not that you'd really need it, but hey.. why not??)

PS. Terri, Bruce's wife makes some awesome Rice Krispy treats!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Follow me on Twitter

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:24:52 pm »
Bruce demonstrating some mods in real time.

I just realized that amp really is on!! That's definitely not something I'd attempt! Bruce is truly the pro to actually work on a tube amp while the current is still running!! I've always been told to discharge the caps before screwing with my amp but this seems completely whacko 'cause one wrong move and you're getting 400V through you!!

Offline asian_sensation

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:15:32 am »
That's pretty awesome to see a guy do a mod in real time!!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 10:33:43 pm »
Bruce really did all the mods in real time. I was standing just a little off the where the picture was taken watching him do his thing. Gotta say that working with him was truly an inspiring event.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline mr_bluedream

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 11:34:40 am »
Me and Bruce:

Hmm.. looks like some serious high tech tools Bruce has in his hands. A hammer and a paper plate!!

Offline guitarslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 03:31:08 am »
Me and Bruce:

Hmm.. looks like some serious high tech tools Bruce has in his hands. A hammer and a paper plate!!

HAHA

yeah, he hits the amp, but uses the plate to make sure he doesn't know what he's hitting.

It yields interesting tonal resutls!

seriously, I am looking forward to going back.  AWESOME!!!

Offline krak_down69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 12:51:44 pm »
Is there more than just the two sessions??

Offline purple_voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 09:11:40 am »
When is there going to be more seminars?? I'd like to attend and learn something from Bruce himself.