Pickups for a custom Steinberger GL Mahogany Body, Graphite Neck.

• 6 Replies

Offline phantomofalfred

• View Profile
Greetings all,
I have used many Dimarzio's in the past but have just joined the forum.  I am hoping to hear from some DiMarzio experts to help me make the second GL have it's own character.
I have built two killer Steinberger GL style bodies made from Mahogany. The necks are both Moses Graphite with no face dots. look sweet. I got the first one together, put a set of Seymour Duncan Holcombs from the custom shop wound by MJ. they were from the first hand wound run of 200 sets. Now I am trying to figure out what to put in his EVIL Twin Brother. I dont want two of the exact same guitar tone, so was thinking a different pickup brand altogether. Like the original GL they have 2 Hum configuration. I am looking at the following, trying to keep in mind it's Mahogany body with a Graphite neck.

I play many different styles of metal. Death Metal / Black Metal / Progressive Metal / 80s Metal

Dimarzio:
Super3b / Super2n
D Activator set               "I heard this set is very evenly balanced, like a good set of EMG"
Dominion Set                 
Steve Morse Bridge / PAF Pro neck  "I heard the the pinch harmonics from SM Bridge are killer"
Fred / PAF joe            " i already know from experience that the harmonics and brightness of Fred kills"

Anyone with any experience can chime in. I already tried the Dimarzio Titan set and did not like them at all, not the sound nor the feel. They seemed bland / dull. lacked character. They did not have very much compression so were harder to get pinch harmonics out of. and did not sustain very well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:37:12 PM by phantomofalfred »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Pickups for a custom Steinberger GL Mahogany Body, Graphite Neck.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 01:55:58 AM »
Based on what you're looking to do, I'd say go with the D-Activator set.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline phantomofalfred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 08:12:14 PM »
Yes, I have been listening to a lot of clip of the Deactivators.  I am very impressed so far. 
There is also this strange thing some are doing.  If the body is Mahogany, they use the Dactivator Neck pickup in the bridge, and the liquifire in the neck.  They say this combo is better to brighten up the mahogany body. 
I am not sure as the twin brother of this guitar has Holcombs, Alpha/Omega, they are both mid scooped with a lot of high end and almost no bass.  They sound great.  Not sure if the Deactivator bridge will be too dark. 
Most of the sound demos i listened to were with Alder bodies. 
what do you think?
Is the Deactivator bridge bright enough with a mahogany body?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 02:35:04 PM »
You'll be fine with Mahogany.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline phantomofalfred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 09:12:17 AM »
I purchased the set of D Activators, ordered them with black bobbins and black hex pole pieces.  Should look killer, the body has been sprayed metallic grey.  I will do some test recordings as soon as they are in. I spoke to a Dimarzio rep and he said if it turns out to be not bright enough for me, i could always return the Bridge pickup and trade it for a Dominion Neck,
In case it turns out too dark, he suggested,
D Actvator Neck in the Bridge,
Dominion Neck in the neck.
but first of course I will try the set as it is intended,
will report back.
Looking forward to seeing what these pickups can do.   8)

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 06:50:42 AM »
Let us know how it goes for you! :)
Follow me on Twitter

Offline phantomofalfred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »
The pickups worked out great.  The harmonics are killer and the rhythms hit you in the chest.  I can say that once i tried a set of Titans, and these blow them out of the water.  I want to try this set in another guitar, now that I know i love the tone.  They are also well balanced when switching from neck to bridge.  Volume is even providing the pickup height is set right.  Killer set.  You were correct they are not too dark, they are well balanced so that I can get my tone shaping from the Amp.
thanks.  I will post some examples of them in action soon.