Evh frankenstein humbucker - dimarzio equivalent?

• 13 Replies

Offline bluediamond

• View Profile
Evh frankenstein humbucker - dimarzio equivalent?
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:42:56 PM »
For anybody who have tried the frankenstein humbucker from EVH, how does it compare to dimarzio PAF models? Output and tone-wise

Bonus question: what single coil mid+neck would balance well with the frankensten bucker? I currently have fender CS54, and they sound a bit too bright and there’s drop in output when switching to the mid or neck position.
I mostly play the neck and neck+mid position

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
Re: Evh frankenstein humbucker - dimarzio equivalent?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:40:05 PM »
I'd say the PAF models are in the same tonal range as the Frankenstein humbucker. Been a while since I had the EVH Frankenstein but I do remember it being very woody sounding. Last guitar I had with the Frankenstein, it was paired up with a SD Cool Rails which I then replaced with a Cruiser which I thought was a great pairing.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 06:28:31 PM »
Really nothing that’s dead on.

Models like the AT1 and the 36th Bridge can be some starting points. If you can find a Virtual PAF and Virtual Hot PAF, those would also be contenders.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »
Norton gets my vote. Easy harmonics. It’s like a hot rodded PAF
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline Orkhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 02:32:47 PM »
According to demos on thomann.de this is Evo2. Just with less harsh highs, more tight lows and focused mids.
Norton has less output and it is darker.

Offline Audiowonderland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:50:32 PM »
The frankenstein pickup is basically a Duncan custom custom. A 14k pickup with an A2. A PAF is nothing like it in my opinion.

Offline shred4Him

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »
The frankenstein pickup is basically a Duncan custom custom. A 14k pickup with an A2. A PAF is nothing like it in my opinion.
Correct! Pariah Pickups makes a model called the Pasadena Black that is supposed to be like that.  I have heard good things, but I have no experience with them.  Planning on getting a set for a parts guitar i am planning on after tax return.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
The frankenstein pickup is basically a Duncan custom custom. A 14k pickup with an A2.

Not really.   

Way more to a pup than DCR and magnet type.

A PAF is nothing like it in my opinion.

Depends.

Offline Audiowonderland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 04:49:32 PM »
There can be, but its not likely in this case IMO..  Just listen to Fair Warning. That is a CC. I have played one for almost 20 years. I know that sound hands down. By all accounts Duncan did all of the EVH's rewinds.   

marcwormjim

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 10:34:32 PM »
I don’t know that anyone’s cared to go in and tap off the series connection for readings of each coil, but the closest to an official description I recall reading was that the Frankenstein is an OEM Custom-Custom with “unbalanced” coils.

Being as I’ve never been a brown sound-chaser/theorist, I’m given to assume the least: That Duncan went the typical OEM route of tweaking one of their off-the-shelfs just enough to claim the recipe as exclusive to the contract.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 08:10:34 PM »
MJ was just telling me about stuff for Eddie the other night. Now I read this. Who knew she was so wrong about what she’s been doing all these decades. lol!

marcwormjim

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 12:42:54 AM »
Hey now, no need to be coy while name-dropping. I’m not claiming anything one way or the other - just repeating wild speculation while indulging in my own.

If the whole myth about the OEM Frankenstein being a tweaked Custom Custom is indeed only a myth, you’re in a position to end its perpetuation without confirming any industry secrets. I’ve no stake in the EVH mythology other than finding some of the other speculation in the thread interesting.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »
Really no speculation about it. The CC and the Frankenstein are not the same. Being the same DCR and having the same type of magnet don’t make 2 pickups identical.

Offline Audiowonderland

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
Given that fact that evh has taken issue with Duncan in the past and the non disclosure contracts that must certainly be in place for SD to build those for fender its not likely anyone is being that loose with information