Wiring Ideas for AT-1 and Chopper

• 8 Replies

Offline ToneGrinder

• View Profile
Wiring Ideas for AT-1 and Chopper
« on: October 16, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
Building a Partcaster (Soloist body) and plan on using an AT-1 in the bridge and a Chopper in the neck.  I would like to keep it simple in terms of switching - I don't need it to do everything (I have other guitars), but would like a little versatility.  Here is what I'm considering so far:

1 Volume, No tone pot, 1 5-way blade switch if I can get away with it.

Pos 1: Bridge in series
Pos 2: ???
Pos 3: Bridge and Neck together in series (some will say it's too muddy, but it's worth a try to get that fat, boosted tone)
Pos 4: Neck in parallel
Pos 5: Neck in series

Any ideas for Position 2?

Also, can I do everything above with nothing but a 4 pole 5-way switch?

I thought about Bridge and Neck in parallel for position 2, but from everything I have read, the differences in impedance may make that a poor choice (16.3 vs. 9.16 KOhm).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:25:35 PM by ToneGrinder »

marcwormjim

Re: Wiring Ideas for AT-1 and Chopper
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:54:07 AM »
The stock switching for an Ibanez 2502 5-way has all of that with the bridge and neck split in parallel for position 2, if you want to rule that out.

Offline ToneGrinder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:21:27 AM »
Good call, marcwormjim... that does seem logical.  Any concerns about impedance mismatch running the split coils in parallel?  Would it be better to split the coils and run them in series?

Also, do I need anything other than a standard 5-way switch (Fender style or 2502N), like a super switch?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:59:07 AM by ToneGrinder »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »
A super switch would be your best bet.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline ToneGrinder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
So I'm thinking the Ibanez RG1527 matches what I'm after:

Bridge Series | Bridge/Neck Inner Coils in Series | Bridge Series + Neck Series (in Series) | Neck Parallel | Neck Series.

I'm not sure what type of 5-way switch Ibanez uses for this - can I accomplish this with a standard 2 pole 5-way switch?  I would rather not get into 4-pole superswitch.  It seems Ibanez has done the same configuration with different switches.  The RGT3020 utilizes the VLX91 Superswitch, but it looks like the RG1527 does not...

Also, since the Chopper is a single coil sized humbucker, does it matter which coil I use for position 2?  I will likely need to experiment with what sounds better, but can anyone comment on the difference in tone for inner vs. outer coils in series?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:33:03 AM by ToneGrinder »

Offline ToneGrinder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 11:10:20 AM »
This is the best diagram I have found for what I want to do - I just need to figure out how to ditch the tone pot and map this to a standard 5-way blade.  I'm assuming from this diagram that position 3 is as I intend (Bridge Series + Neck Series together in Series)?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:12:51 AM by ToneGrinder »

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 05:44:53 PM »
Ditching the tone pot is easy. Just disconnect it!

That's not a standard 5-way switch though, I made that mistake and found out that Ibanez also has a cheaper switches that are custom made to offer that wiring without needing the more expensive VLX-91.

Offline ToneGrinder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
Thanks 5150, that's good to know.   So in your experience there is no way around a superswitch to accomplish this configuration without additional switches?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 12:55:58 PM »
You wouldn't be able to do that with a standard 5-way switch. That switch used in the diagram is a custom switch Ibanez had manufactured for them so they could get the same switching that they had on the higher end models with the VLX-91.

If you're determined to stick with a standard switch, your best bet would be to go with a 3-way switch and add push pulls for the series/parallel and inner split coils but depending on how good are you with wiring, it could end up as a complete mess.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter