Gravity Storm

• 2 Replies

Offline Fender Doll

• View Profile
Gravity Storm
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:56:07 AM »
Hello there everyone, due to being absolutely swamped by that evil thing called work I've been unable to message as much! But anyway I'm still here! 😀.

Anyway I have decided for my American H.S.S strat to go for Heavy Blues 2 in neck and middle with Gravity Storm in the bridge. Where I do become unsure is wether the G.S bridge would be too high output when balancing it with the H.B 2. I was looking at putting the G.S Neck in the bridge of my strat because the Dimarzio site does say it can be used in that position, and the output number does look like it would balance more, I don't want high output but at the same time I want something hotter than a standard PAF.
Also would I need to change the pots in my guitar for this? If so would it just be for the humbucker or would it be for everything?

Hope everyone is well and all the best.

marcwormjim

Re: Gravity Storm
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 11:42:19 PM »
You can always lower the pickup. Note that the GS neck and bridge are two different magnets, voicings, and that only the bridge model has the virtual-vintage screws embedded in the bobbin.

Anecdotally: I had a GS set in a Parker Fly and couldn’t lower the pickups enough to match the output of my Fly with an Air Norton in the bridge and PAF Joe in the neck. So I put an AN in the other Fly and transplanted the GS pickups into a guitar where I could lower them enough to get the voltage I preferred.

Just food for thought.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Gravity Storm
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 02:25:18 AM »
Personally I think you'll be fine. As marcwornjim said, you can always lower the pickup. I would definitely suggest going with a 500k pot for the Gravity Storm although I think you might already have one if you have a HSS strat. Dropping one of the tone controls and putting in a second volume control just for the humbucker could also work for you as it'll let you dial in the humbucker independently from the singles.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter