Air Norton S help

• 6 Replies

Offline jdroost

• View Profile
Air Norton S help
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
Hello.
Just put a super nice Warmoth Gibson scale conversion neck on my 96 Lonestar Strat.
I went to a smaller 1 5/8 nut so I had some pole to string spacing alignment issues with the neck pickpup. Decided a rail style pickup would be a good idea.

I chose the Dimarzio Air Norton S and put a switch in to go single/humbucker.
It's a bit muddy and woolly for this guitar (when in Humbucking mode).
It's great when I switch it to single coil..but figure I should have something I like in both positions.
I know much about pickup tones form their line or other brands.

Going by their tone chart the Satch Track looks about right but the treble number is a lot higher and I am worried it will be too sharp.
What is out there rail style with a bit more tone and a tad less bass?
Thanks so much for any advice.

I posted this question in another forum but did not get any answers.

marcwormjim

Re: Air Norton S help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:26:48 PM »
Here’s an old post of mine comparing the two:

The current [Fast Track] selection has us choosing by output rating as much as anything. I’ve only used the Air Norton S and Satch Track (both in neck position).

- I found the AN in series to be as muddy as its big brother, quite a bit nicer when split, and a compromise between the two in parallel. I tried it in two guitars before selling it. Others may prefer the way it thickened up with gain. Check out videos of Greg Howe playing his old Laguna sig for examples.

- I found the Satch Track superior in every respect. I also found the parallel and split sounds so similar that I tend to stick with parallel for noiseless single coil sounds. I find its throaty midrange really growls the more gain is added. As with its big brother the PAF Joe (which I have in a different guitar), its series mode sounds like someone trying to get a Hendrix sound from a humbucker, whereas the split mode has more of a polite SRV thing going (more “Lenny” than “Texas Flood”).

As always, your mileage may vary.

As with other pickups, you can raise or lower each side of the Satch Track to affect the treble. If you’re concerned about having too much high-end, be aware that lower-output offerings (such as the Fast Track or Cruiser) will be brighter.

Consider Seymour Duncan’s selection, as well. Some find their single-sized humbuckers more versatile.

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 12:54:24 AM »
It's great when I switch it to single coil..but figure I should have something I like in both positions.

have you tried in parallel? however, in 24.75" I find this too muddy in an all maple neckthrough.

IMHO fast track I (not II) would be fine.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 02:14:19 AM »
I think the Satch Track might work out for you but I'd try the Air Norton S in parallel mode first since you already have one.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline jdroost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.
Those that have experience with both.
Would you say the Satch Track is a tad less bright as to the Fast Track 1?
Are the numbers on the Dimarzio page (b/m/t/) a fairly good way to measure
two similar pickup...or is the output level more important to keep an eye on?

Will mess with the wiring this weekend as well.

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »
I can speak to the Chopper vs. Satch. I've got in the neck of one guitar and plan on getting it in the neck for 2 more guitars. It's my favorite "high power" single coil.

Under high gain, the Satch Track is clear, not muddy or overly bright. It retains more of that single coil type tone when compared to the Chopper which sounds a little too thick and heavy to me. The Satch Track also sounds even more single coil like when it's split.

I have it matched up with a 36th Ann bridge pickup by the way.

Offline jdroost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »
I am fairly sure the Lonestar has a 250k tone pot for the neck.
Would replacing it with a 500k help at all....or does it produce other issues?