PAF Pro with VV mod?

• 4 Replies

Offline shred4Him

• View Profile
PAF Pro with VV mod?
« on: September 21, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »
I thought I had read at one time someone was going to do the Virtual Vintage mod to a PAF Pro but I haven't seen any follow up. Did I miss that? If not, can anyone predict what the possible results of this mod on a PP would be? Such a versatile pickup, but can get bright in the bridge. Thinking about doing this for a future project a few months from now.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: PAF Pro with VV mod?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
No idea what happened with that, although I do think it would work pretty well for the PAF Pro.

If you're going to give it a shot, I think we'd all love to hear about the results.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline shred4Him

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:27:59 AM »
If I do it, (there is a debate in my mind about getting a PAF Pro for this experiment, or a Breed neck) I will definitely post about it.  After reading about the Breed neck being a fatter PAF Pro, I was really intrigued about using it.  The only thing I have heard negative about the Breed neck is that the high end can be strident when in the bridge.  I know that there are 3 screws that can be added per coil.  I wonder if just adding 1 screw per coil would pull just a hair of the high end back, while leaving the rest of the pickup alone. 

This will be a cool experiment.  Then next part of decision process is using a 500K or 250K pot.  Maybe using a Breed neck with a 250K pot would be the equivalent of doing the VV mod.  So many questions. 

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »
It would definitely make an interesting experiment!

I would say, stick with the 500k pots. If you wanted to see what it would be like with a 250k pot just run a 500k resistor across the pot in parallel between the input and the ground.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:17:05 PM by buddroyce »
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline shred4Him

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 01:38:05 PM »
Is there a particular reason you suggest to stick with the 500K pots?  Have you tried the Breed neck in the bridge of a strat-like guitar?