Wiring help

• 5 Replies

Offline narphous

• View Profile
Wiring help
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:23:16 PM »
So... this is my second time redoing a guitar from scratch. Assume I'm an idiot with these things and probably just missed something obvious.

I’m running a mo joe bridge, fast track 1 middle, and satch track neck, with an EP1112 switch, 1 volume and 2 tone controls. These are the two diagrams I’m attempting to combine:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/3hep1112_1v1t_nparallel.pdf
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/2h1vv_nbtone_split2and4_c.pdf

I’m using the first for the pickup wiring, and the second for the tone controls.

I’m also using the diagram to wire the bridge for series/parallel using an on/on/on DPDT combined with phase inverter using a DPST from the packaged instructions for the pickups. It all mostly works, but…

The problems I’ve encountered  are:
Position 2 gives no sound, and there’s ~ 500K Ohm resistance between hot and ground. The resistance drops  when in position 5 and I do have output.

The  middle and  neck  seem fairly dark given that they both emphasize treble response. The bridge is considerably brighter than either.

I reversed the red and green wires for the middle and neck, but both are still out of phase with the bridge.

If a diagram similar to 3HEP1112 with 2 tone  controls could be created/is available, that would be perfect and I’ll go back to the drawing board. I looked all over the wiring diagram site and the net, but wasn't able to find anything that matches more closely that what I've posted here.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Wiring help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 06:08:06 PM »
Are you sure that the switch you have in your guitar is the same as the switch in those wiring diagrams?

Offline narphous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:28:50 AM »
Positive. It's a Dimarzio EP1112, same as the diagram.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
Just for clarity, when you say position 1 are you referring to the bridge or neck position?

I would isolate just one side of the switch starting with just the neck and bridge pickups and move on from there. It's likely something is getting grounded when it shouldn't.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline narphous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:42 PM »
So this is interesting, at least to me.... I tried wiring another guitar with neck, neck parallel and had the exact same issue. All switch positions work except the neck in parallel. So that's three times running that this has happened on two different guitars, and with different pickups in the neck. I'm really starting to wonder if there's something about the stacked humbucking design that keeps this from working. But more interesting is that using a push/pull switch, series/parallel works fine. So I'm completely flummoxed.

And yes, position 1 is neck as it's marked on the wiring diagram.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »
It's highly probably that the stacked humbucker just won't do what you want.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter