Norton vs D'Activator

• 2 Replies

Offline olpo

• View Profile
Norton vs D'Activator
« on: August 25, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
Bello,

I've never read a comparison between the Norton and the D'Activator.
Although, from their description they seem to have some in common:
Both are known for their great crunch. The DA has a lot of presence while the Norton is bright and "is really good for opening up the sound of mahogany set-neck guitars".

Well, I have a D'Activator. It's good, but it's a bit too hot and too compressed for me.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Norton vs D'Activator
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 08:39:18 PM »
The Norton and D-Activator are quite different. The Norton definitely has more nasally mids to it, similar to what you'd find on the JB. It's a much more vocal sounding pickup.

The D-Activator is a lot crunchier and I do find it much more metal than the Norton.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
Re: Norton vs D'Activator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »
D-Activator has great harmonics like the Norton, but it is very crisp, clear, and "precise" if that makes sense. Much higher output. It won't forgive sloppy playing. If you have a highly refined picking technique, and you want crisp, high output, then you will love the D-Activator.

Norton is more laid back, much warmer sounding, higher harmonic to output ratio. If you want something warmer and a little older-school without being too old school, and you like to get nasty and squealy, then you will love the Norton.

Norton is a very dynamic pickup, but the D-Activator may be the one pickup in Dimarzio's stable that is even more dynamic. That is where the primary similarities lie.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL