Looking for fat neck humbucker for 24 fret super strat

• 13 Replies

Offline Shooweri

• View Profile
Looking for fat neck humbucker for 24 fret super strat
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »
Last time I asked about what bridge pickup to go for and finally found a perfect one. Thanks again for recommendations, ideas and comments!

I'm definitely set on Perpetual Burn(bridge) and SSL1 rwrp (middle) but I haven't yet found a perfect neck pickup. The guitar is very bright and punchy basswood bodied PGM301 with stop tail bridge, bolt-on maple neck with maple fretboard and 24 frets. The guitar is so bright acoustically that it made most neck pickups sound like a strat, even though wired as a standard humbucker. The pickup placement appears to be the reason but I'm pretty positive that there is a perfect pickup for this application.

List of neck pickups I've tried:
-Paf Pro
Too mushy and undefined when playing fast solos. Nice cleans and split tones

-Humbucker From Hell
Very focused sound, too bright for my taste

-Paf Joe
Bright and spanky but too bright, nice split tones

Sounded very bland and low power with this guitar. Didn't like the split tones

-Liquifire
Too smooth and compressed for me. Cleans have natural compression which I don't like

-Air Norton
This is what's in currently. Still a bit stratty and twangy but I can just about live with it. Has nice sustain when soloing and notes get nice harmonic feedback. Full clean sound and super nice slit tone.

So, I'm looking for a darker pickup than AN, which is just a bit too bright. The ones I'm looking for are P-Rails, A2P, Breed neck and Air Zone.
-Warmoth Telecaster w/ Fender AVRI '52(B), Custom Strat(M), Flat '52(N)
-Ibanez RGD2127FX w/ Duncan Pegasus(B) & Sentient(N)
-Ibanez PGM301 w/ Duncan Perpetual Burn(B), SSL-1(M),  Air Norton(N)
-Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster w/ Tonerider City Limits
-Tokai LSS-47 w/ Kent Armstrong StealthP90

marcwormjim

Re: Looking for fat neck humbucker for 24 fret super strat
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »
Any thoughts on the Gravity Storm?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 10:19:26 PM »
If you want dark, there’s the Pearly Gates Neck.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Shooweri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 02:45:59 AM »
I've haven't tried Gravity Storm neck yet but I've been wondering about it for awhile. Local retailer has couple Ibbys in stock so I can A/B the AN and GSn today.

DarthPhineas: How does A2P and PGn compare? I've a friend with A2P set installed and he's gonna loan his guitar next week. I'll most likely get a hold on the P-Rails as well.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 06:03:45 AM »
I very much doubt that the Breed neck is darker than the Air Norton. However, as I have not tried them in the same guitar I cannot give a direct comparison. Nevertheless I like it very much as a neck pickup. It has lots of power and will balance very well with a strong bridge pickup.

The first pickup that came to mind for "darker than AN" was the Liquifire but I understand that this is out already.

My experience with 24 fret guitars is that they like a neck pickup which has quite a bit of a coil offset, i.e. asymmetrical coils. I have had very good results with the Bareknuckle VHII neck insofar, and I also think that the Bluesbucker would work excellent in that application. However, both are bright pickups.

I never played an AirZone but I have seen it being recommended in the neck for jazzy tones.

Given all that I would probably stay with the Air Norton.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Shooweri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
Yesterday I tried out GSn vs AN. Gravity Storm has more top end, less low end and bit more output in comparison. GSn probably works well in my LP due to it's tone and output.

Got that A2P set last night from a buddy and will try them tomorrow if I've time. I will receive Prail during next week.

I really hope that A2P works. Sooner or later I'll run out of options, lol.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 01:28:26 PM »
DarthPhineas: How does A2P and PGn compare? I've a friend with A2P set installed and he's gonna loan his guitar next week. I'll most likely get a hold on the P-Rails as well.

I cover the A2P HERE and the Pearly Gates HERE.

Offline Shooweri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
Thanks a lot Darth, you've very informative page.

I spent some time tweaking Air Norton. Tried swapping it other way around (screw coil towards bridge) which made it less stratty and felt like it had a bit more output. It had somewhat similar vibe to Liquifire with more natural compression and not-so-good split tone when used with middle single. I tried swapping the pot into 250k and while it made the pups feel more balanced the AN still had too much high end. So, I took it out and let the pickup swapping begin, yet again..

After educating myself for last couple months and after taking all things I've found out to consideration, I really like Alnico II neck pickups over anything else. I wired the A2P neck into neck slot of my PGM and was instantly blown away. It has darker natural tone and feels like LP neck pickup. It had a little more output than AN so it's great to shred on and is more fluid overall. I'm gonna try out A2P bridge model and P-Rail and make the decision afterwards.

Offline Speeddemon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »

I cover the A2P HERE and the Pearly Gates HERE.
Hi Darth,

Being a fan of both the Air Norton as a neck pickup, as well as the 36th Anniv. PAF, but wanting something slightly in between those and note; I tried and found Duncan's Alnico Pro II a bit too smooth and boomy...how you'd say the Pearly Gates neck would compare?

More on topic:
The Breed neck I found actually to be bigger *and* janglier sounding than the Air Norton in a 22fret Superstrat, but once I put that into a Gibson '67 RI Flying V it's pure magic. Thick, juicy, but with the right definition. Note that's an all mahogany guitar, 22 frets, ebony fretboard, fixed bridge (I put a black Gotoh bridge and a black aluminium (yes, European spelling=right spelling, bitches  :P 8) ) tailpiece on that. It has a Super D in the bridge, that -while nice- could have some improvement...not sure how yet.
In use: 13x DiMarzio (7 gtrs), 7x Duncan (3 gtrs).
Got preference? ;)

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 07:38:23 AM »
Hi Darth,

Being a fan of both the Air Norton as a neck pickup, as well as the 36th Anniv. PAF, but wanting something slightly in between those and note; I tried and found Duncan's Alnico Pro II a bit too smooth and boomy...how you'd say the Pearly Gates neck would compare?

I’d suggest avoiding the PGn.   For something from that brand, consider maybe the SNS neck for articulation or the WLH neck for a little beef. Neither seem to get in to that smooth or boomy area. You can look at the Jazz neck, which is a AP2 with an A5, but I think it can still be a little large in the lows.

Offline Ascension

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 08:46:21 PM »
Got your pickup the Seymour Duncan Sentient. Have a Perpetual Burn in my 2017 Kiesel DC 135 so know that pickup well and have a Sentient in the neck with a Alt 8 in the bridge in my 1993 KOA hardtail Carvin DC 127. I also have a 2015 Carvin DC 600 with a Liqufire in the neck so know that pickup as well. The Sentient is fat smooth and sweet with a great singing solo voice when at gain but also has a really cool bell like tone clean. It's slightly lower in output more open and less compressed than the Liquifire but still has a reall big fluid solo voice.
 I also have an Alnico II pro and a PG neck in play in other guitars so have experience with a few on your list.
Check this out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2VvpWqgRiw
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:18:37 PM by Ascension »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 08:38:53 AM »
Ascension, he asked for a fat not flat.

But seriously, those doom metal pups they came out with: Nazgul, Pegasus, Sentient. They all came off to me as dry and gritty as that average chick at the beach you settle on after having too much to drink and then find out she got too much sand in her bikini bottoms. Then you wake up to realize she has a “I need to speak to a manager” haircut and spells her name all goofy, like Elysse.

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
A Transition neck will do the trick!
Let me know if you want one!
I'm planning to sell mine soon!

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 05:47:11 PM »
Ascension, he asked for a fat not flat.

But seriously, those doom metal pups they came out with: Nazgul, Pegasus, Sentient. They all came off to me as dry and gritty as that average chick at the beach you settle on after having too much to drink and then find out she got too much sand in her bikini bottoms. Then you wake up to realize she has a “I need to speak to a manager” haircut and spells her name all goofy, like Elysse.

LOL Nice description!