Modification of mounting tabs

• 11 Replies

Offline agt

• View Profile
Modification of mounting tabs
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:41:08 PM »
Seymour Duncan and several other manufacturers' pickups come with square mounting tabs whereas Dimarzios generally come with triangular tabs.

If one wished to use Duncan pickups in a Music Man guitar with pickup cavities routed for Dimarzios, what is the safest and/or most generally accepted way to reshape the metal tabs? Any information or links showing how this can be done will be much appreciated!  :)

I do not wish to enlarge the routed cavities in the guitar and obviously the pickups are direct-mounted (no pick guard or mounting rings).

Is this a commonly performed DIY job for or is it best left to a professional luthier? I would imagine that, with the right tools and some patience, I shouldl be able to do this.

I am aware that some manufacturers will custom make triangular tabs on request, but I am concerned with modifying existing stock pickups.

Thanks!

marcwormjim

Re: Modification of mounting tabs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:21:10 AM »
Just use tin-snips or fret cutters to trim the corners off, then use a drill bit to ream the screw holes for direct-mounting, if need be. If you have the tools, it can be done with no more effort than clipping toenails. It’s far less of a hassle than swapping baseplates.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:07:21 PM by marcwormjim »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:57:18 PM »
It's a fairly common DIY job. You don't need a professional to do it for you. Unless of course you're getting someone else to help you wire it. In which case, you can get them to do it for you.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Strangeman86

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »
Years ago I took a pair of needle nose pliers and simply bent the feet into triangle-ish shapes.  Though I will admit that took some patience and very deliberate effort (I really wouldn't call it option A, but if you're desperate and willing...).

Offline agt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:12:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies, folks!

marcwormjim's suggestion about using tin snips or fret cutters is exactly what I was looking for.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:37:30 AM »
Instead of reaming the holes for direct mounting I recommend modifying the screws. That way you can use the holes for spring mounting if you wish at a later stage.

I hate it when I buy used pickups where the holes were reamed for direct mounting without telling this fact in the ad. It is not a deal breaker per se but I would like to know before buying.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »
Another possible option

Check out some parts houses (i.e., Mojotone, etc) to source some new baseplates with the proper pole spacing that have the tabs you want. Then it’s just a simple solder job that can be reversible.

Or find other pickups that come with the triangle tabs, like Suhr.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

marcwormjim

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 12:40:53 AM »
Instead of reaming the holes for direct mounting I recommend modifying the screws. That way you can use the holes for spring mounting if you wish at a later stage.

I hate it when I buy used pickups where the holes were reamed for direct mounting without telling this fact in the ad. It is not a deal breaker per se but I would like to know before buying.

This is a pet peeve of mine as well - But every direct-mount guitar I own has threaded inserts for the pickup screws; and drilling out the tabs has been the lesser evil.

Offline agt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

For the benefit of anyone who may come across this thread in the future, I purchased a set of Wiss 7" utility shears and performed the surgery. As marcwormjim suggested, it literally was as easy as clipping toe nails.

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 11:22:14 PM »
I never thought about getting shears. Actually makes a lot more sense than trying to do it with a pair of wire cutters.

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 06:50:10 AM »
Ill add that a dremel type tool would probably get the job done as well.

Offline SkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 05:48:20 AM »
If it was me I would try and find a really cheap, nasty, old pickup with square tabs to practice on first.