pole screws direction dilemma...

• 5 Replies

Offline the swede

• View Profile
pole screws direction dilemma...
« on: July 08, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
Hi, i have an Ibanez with 5 way switch: neck, neck parallel, neck & bridge, neck & bridge split, bridge.

The Air Norton i had in the neck position has the screw poles towards the neck, cable down towards the electronics.

Now I have an Air Classic DP190 that I want to use in the neck position. Looking at it, it has the pole screws on the other coil.

Does that matter?

I don't care if the screw poles doesn't face the neck, and I guess the split mode will be on the pole screw side on the Air classic, and thus split mode will be correct (inner coils facing each other)

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: pole screws direction dilemma...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »
You can always just rotate the pickup around.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline the swede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »
You can always just rotate the pickup around.

Well, thats the problem, its an arched top guitar with a very thin body and open pickup cavities. So there is very little room there. I just didn't dare to bend the cable around in there with such small space.

So anyway, I mounted it with the cable going straight into the cable hole. So the pickup now has the screw poles in bridge direction.

However, the pickup split modes and all is correct. Just like the air Norton was. Split position activates inner coils, just as the guitars wiring diagram states it should be.

If I turn the pickup around so it looks "normal" the splitted coil will be in against the neck.

Actually, I don't mind having screw poles on the inner coil of the neck pickup, as It gives me further chance to tweak the sound in split mode! That I didn't think about until just now.

So I guess, Im happy with this anyway. Don't mind the screw poles looking "the wrong way"  ;D

And, I must say... the air classics (both of them) sounds awesome!!! The Tone Zone and Air Norton was to much for me. The Air Classics feels more balanced and dynamic.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:38:45 PM by the swede »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »
The cables aren't that fragile that they'd break if you bent them. Although I would say, try it the other way around and see if you like the tone first then see about flipping it.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
The cables aren't that fragile that they'd break if you bent them. Although I would say, try it the other way around and see if you like the tone first then see about flipping it.

^^^ this ^^^

Just flip ‘em, dude
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 11:33:12 AM »
Wires the wires under the pickup aren't that fragile you should be able to flip them and squish them a bit if need be.