Norton mod...

• 4 Replies

Strangeman86

Norton mod...
« on: July 06, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »
So at the suggestion of another forum member (corypheus) I grabbed a Norton.  Freaking love it, but stock it's not quite as articulate as I'd like and it's a bit too dark on the high end.  I've got some other things on order to possibly/probably modify it a bit more in the future, but for now... I removed the stock 3/4" screws and put in some Mojotone 1/2" screws and SHAZAM!!  Quite a bit more articulation (or note separation, whatever you prefer), the high end opened up a bit (gave it a bit more 'sing') and the low end is tighter as well.  I suspect the change in tone/timbre is related to two subjects: the length of the screws and likely the difference in alloys between the stock screws and Mojo's.  But, in the past, I've swapped out SD's screws for Mojo's as well and had 99% positive results.  Just food for thought.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Norton mod...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing the feedback! I'll have to give this mod a shot on some of my pickups.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
Screw allow can help. One alloy is a bit more vintage while another is a bit more modern. Cannot remember which is which.

The shorter screws “shorten” or “tighten” the magnetic field, in as much as it pulls it back up closer to the coil. It’s a good call to try different screws than to try to modify the original ones, so you can always return it to stock if you’d like.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Strangeman86

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
I gave up the Mojo' screws (they didn't fit the threads well and I was afraid I was going to strip out the bobbin while adjusting them).  But now I have 'virtual vintaged' my Norton now and that was EXTRA fun.  I had to sacrifice a pickup to get the extra slugs (I found the thread with the small screw method too little too late), but it was well worth it.  For those of you that haven't read buddroyce's thread on the technology or the thread where someone did this 10ish years ago, it's like putting a smooth-boost (maybe... 8-10db?) directly into your pickup.  The character/EQ of the pickup didn't change other than that the highs are smoother across the strings and the output is probably up closer to 385-390 or so (from the stock 352; and I'm guessing, I have no actual way to measure the mV output of a pickup, but it's noticeably hotter).  Overall I'm just glad I enjoy the mod, because I have no idea how to get those extra slugs out without destroying the bobbins!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:17:21 AM »
It's been a while since someone did that mod around here but I'm glad to hear the mod worked out for you!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter