Barber Gain Changer SR

• 1 Replies

Strangeman86

Barber Gain Changer SR
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
Up front, I love the standard Gain Changer and the GCX (really just a gain changer with expanded tone controls).  They're stupidly versatile and, although I despise this term for its overuse, about as transparent as you can find in an OD box.  The SR (special recipe for those not familiar with David's pedals), however, is a whole lot better.  It is quite a bit more refined than its predecessors.  To my ears it's a tad warmer with greater clarity, takes higher output pickups MUCH better and is sweeter overall.  I feel like it cleans up better as well.  My favorite aspect though is that I actually enjoy the lower gain toggle setting now (on the GC and GCX I never enjoyed the feel/timbre of it).  If you're in the market for an OD that is very versatile and will respond to your playing/guitar/setup with all the nuance you could want, shoot David an email.  I hope the day finds you all well.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:40:46 PM by Strangeman86 »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Barber Gain Changer SR
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 08:15:27 AM »
Cool to see some love for Barber's overdrive pedals. I have acquired a bunch of them over the last three years - various variants of the Direct Drive, the Burn Unit EQ, the Smallfry, the Unlimited and the GCX. All great and can be had inexpensively used.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b