Music Man Steve Morse Y2d Floyd: bridge pickup search

• 12 Replies

Offline Giffin

• View Profile
Music Man Steve Morse Y2d Floyd: bridge pickup search
« on: July 04, 2018, 06:47:52 AM »
Hi forum I am new, and the guitar in question is new to me as well.  I disliked the bridge pup at first play, I found it  nasal and harsh, and I am still struggling to get a more open bridge sound.  First   I changed to 500k pots and tried AT1: sounded the worst ever, middy and very thin sounding. And the pot change also spoiled the neck pup which I found very cool, Morse  probably targeted Les Paul neck tones there and it is good IMO.  I switched back to 250 k pots and  battered a brand new JB trembucker to go into the pickguard and the cavity.  Not the best sound I would like either, need to calm those mids .  So I am asking advice for a Dimarzio recommendation, I was eyeballing the Transition neck, since it is moderate output (kinda cool, I think the guitar is naturally loud ) and scooped, but it would be a shut in the dark.  I know a little about Steve's Special, but I don't feel for it.  So what do you say? If it wont be dimarzio my next victoms may be Screaming Demon or Custom 5.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Shooweri

• View Profile
Re: Music Man Steve Morse Y2d Floyd: bridge pickup search
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

It would be useful to know what kind of tone you're after and what is your current amp. You're planning to use stock neck pickup wiyh 250 pots?
-Warmoth Telecaster w/ Fender AVRI '52(B), Custom Strat(M), Flat '52(N)
-Ibanez RGD2127FX w/ Duncan Pegasus(B) & Sentient(N)
-Ibanez PGM301 w/ Duncan Perpetual Burn(B), SSL-1(M),  Air Norton(N)
-Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster w/ Tonerider City Limits
-Tokai LSS-47 w/ Kent Armstrong StealthP90

Offline Giffin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
hi, I have no prejudice for or against 250k or 500k pots, yes the neck pup works well with 250 k in my opinion.  I am just trying to get rid of that nasal middy sound in the bridge.  This guitar is poplar body thats where I think the mids are coming from, but the maple cap seem to brighten it up, so it has a nice but distictly bright and loud acoustic sound.  All in all it may just be better to keep 250k pots unless you peple think anything to the contrary.   I usually like vintage hot type pickups, play  classic/hard rock mainly,
 presently playing a Mark V mainly but I am a Marshall guy at heart.  I am open to suggestions.
I won't say what or whose tone I am after, this guitar is very peculiar IMO I just expect to get the best possible tones out of it, more on the gainy side but not exclusively.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:24:14 AM by Giffin »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »
Hmmm... Might I suggest a Super Distortion?

The Transition would be a good option as well, although I have no idea what the neck sounds like in the bridge position. It is a pickup I really do like though.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »
What happens if you roll down the tone when you're on the bridge pickup?

I haven't tried the Y2D in some years but whatever it had was definitely mid heavy, running it into a Mark V would probably accentuate the nasally tones a bit more.

My usual suggestions would be the Tone Zone, Air Zone or maybe the Transition since they're all kinda brown soundish to me and that's what I'm into.

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 03:03:43 PM »
I never knew the Steve Morse Y2D came with 250k pots. I don't know how well the 250k pots are going to work with most humbuckers.

Why not swap out the tone pot for a second volume pot and wiring it like a Les Paul sans tone pots?

Offline Giffin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 07:47:09 AM »
Hmmm... Might I suggest a Super Distortion?

The Transition would be a good option as well, although I have no idea what the neck sounds like in the bridge position. It is a pickup I really do like though.
I hear people successfully used SD with this guitar, but I am not a fan of the sounds that pup is associated with.  Thanks for the suggestion, it may be a good one really, just not my thing.

Offline Giffin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »
What happens if you roll down the tone when you're on the bridge pickup?

I haven't tried the Y2D in some years but whatever it had was definitely mid heavy, running it into a Mark V would probably accentuate the nasally tones a bit more.

My usual suggestions would be the Tone Zone, Air Zone or maybe the Transition since they're all kinda brown soundish to me and that's what I'm into.
Yep brown sound is my thing as well, or one of my things and this guitar needs some of that IMO.   Mark V seems to be part of the culprits indeed.  Tone roll back?   Nothing remarkable, it is already 250 K, so I will like to keep that bit of treble.   I tried AT-1 on this,  would something like an Airzone be remarkably different regarding the mids?

Offline Giffin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 08:01:13 AM »
I never knew the Steve Morse Y2D came with 250k pots. I don't know how well the 250k pots are going to work with most humbuckers.

Why not swap out the tone pot for a second volume pot and wiring it like a Les Paul sans tone pots?
I will think about that thanks.   Trying to stick with Morse's basic idea for now though, playing safe..   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:56:39 PM by Giffin »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 06:16:10 PM »
I can't blame you for not wanting the Super Distortion because of what it's normally associated with. It's a great all round pickup. The Air Zone as recommended by 5150 is also a really good option.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Giffin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »
Are you of the opinion that Air Zone will be less mid-focused than AT-1?  Regarding this particular guitar that is, I used it with great success on a Strat and a Les Paul actually.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:15:36 PM by Giffin »

Offline Giffin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 03:09:47 PM »
Alright folks, I have been victim of shabby wiring, presently the bridge JB sounds good if a bit too bright with 500 k pots, but really, the guitar is back to life it sounded plain terrible. Air Zone obviously is a good candidate now to fatten and smoothen the sound, and you are welcome to suggest neck and middle pickups if you got something that you think would work great on your mind. Cheers!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 12:45:13 AM »
The Air Zone definitely has less of a mid spike the same way the AT-1 does. It's tonally much bigger and fatter sounding.
Follow me on Twitter