Dead J100VS

• 5 Replies

Offline DKSEARS

• View Profile
Dead J100VS
« on: July 01, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »

This is the dead J100VS out of neck position of my old 89 Jackson Super Strat.  It read open when my guitar tech tested it last week.

My question is would it be worth having fixed (it’s not original, I swapped it in early after I bought back around 1995 because I didn’t want the hum), and who would be willing to work on it.

My tech recommended Lindy Fralin, but Fralin’s website says they don’t work on stacked pickups.

If I were to replace it, what would be a good recommendation? This guitar still has a J100VS in the middle position and the factory installed Screamin’ Demon (at least, it was in there when I got the guitar). I’d like to keep the stack configuration and reuse the stock cover if possible.

Would I need to order from the custom shop to get one to fit the pickup slot that doesn’t allow for the triangular base plate?

Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Dead J100VS
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 09:20:42 PM »
Maybe keep an eye on eBay or Reverb in the event that you might catch the exact same item.

A custom order of a boutique item seems a little overkill for a stock Jackson pickup.

Could you maybe describe the sort of tone you’re looking for?

Perhaps someone has the measurements of the DiMarzio poles to help determine if your cover will fit as you’d like. Or you could call DiMarzio tech support to see if they could confirm that for you.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »
Personally wouldn't bother fixing it.

In terms of replacements you could look at the Lace Sensor Holy Grail. It's also a stacked noiseless pickup that doesn't have the triangular base.

Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DKSEARS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

The tone I’d like for this pickup would be more of a beefy Strat type tone with some clarity.  The biggest issue I want to avoid is muddy bass.  I don’t traditionally use the single coil sound much, but I find I’m using it more and more with the worship music that I’ve been playing lately.

The Texas Specials in my Sambora signature have been pretty close to same tone as these, and I like that most for a single coil tone.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 07:10:32 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

The tone I’d like for this pickup would be more of a beefy Strat type tone with some clarity.  The biggest issue I want to avoid is muddy bass.  I don’t traditionally use the single coil sound much, but I find I’m using it more and more with the worship music that I’ve been playing lately.

The Texas Specials in my Sambora signature have been pretty close to same tone as these, and I like that most for a single coil tone.

Looking at the specs of the Texas Special pups.... either get them of the Fender 59 Set.

Or look at the Mojotone single coil options.  Lots of flavors to choose from. And they are cool to deal with when you call them with questions.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline DKSEARS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:38:34 AM »
Thanks, darth.

Appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk