DiMarzio recommendations for my fuschia sparkle Majesty?

• 6 Replies

Offline petruccirocks02

• View Profile
DiMarzio recommendations for my fuschia sparkle Majesty?
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:33:27 PM »
Hey guys and gals, I’m looking for some recommendations on what pickups to swap into my fuschia sparkle Music Man Majesty. Right now it has the Sonic Ecstasy pickups in it (which sound great) but I’m looking to experiment since the Majesty has the quick connects. I’ve been toying with the idea of these combos:

Tone Zone/Air Norton (custom colors)
Steve’s Special/Air Norton (custom colors)
Crunch Lab/Liquifire (custom colors)
Tone Zone/Humbucker From Hell (custom colors)

My Majesty is a mahogany neck through with basswood wings, maple top, and an ebony fretboard. I have played through Mesa Boogie Mark amps for years (IIC+’s and Mark IV’s). I’d like to steer away from the Illuminator’s as my old JP13 had them and I wasn’t a huge fan. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: DiMarzio recommendations for my fuschia sparkle Majesty?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »
Depends on what era Petrucci you're looking to aim for. Personally I'm tempted to give the Steve's Special + Liquifire combo a shot, but otherwise the Crunch Lab and Liquifire I always thought was a killer combo.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline petruccirocks02

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 05:44:51 PM »
Depends on what era Petrucci you're looking to aim for. Personally I'm tempted to give the Steve's Special + Liquifire combo a shot, but otherwise the Crunch Lab and Liquifire I always thought was a killer combo.

Ooh, Steve’s Special and Liquifire might sound killer. My top 4 JP album tones are Systematic Chaos, Falling Into Infinity, Awake, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (in no particular order). I absolutely love JP’s tones on Innocence Faded, Erotomania, Lines In The Sand, Trial Of Tears, The Test That Stumped Them All, Blind Faith, Constant Motion, In The Presence Of Enemies. Those are notable favorites.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:48:10 PM »
It can help to know what your goals are. As well as what you like and don’t like about other pickups you’ve tried.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline petruccirocks02

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 11:49:35 AM »
It can help to know what your goals are. As well as what you like and don’t like about other pickups you’ve tried.

I like tightness on the bottom end but not a ton of bass, decent mids, and a smooth top end. I go for liquid lead tones and tight, aggressive heavy rhythm sounds. But I also like shimmery, glass clean tones. I hope that helps. LOL.

Strangeman86

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
Maybe give the Imperium a try?  It might have more mids than you want, but it sounds great clean or dirty and responds VERY well to playing dynamics.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 07:36:21 AM »

I like tightness on the bottom end but not a ton of bass, decent mids, and a smooth top end. I go for liquid lead tones and tight, aggressive heavy rhythm sounds. But I also like shimmery, glass clean tones. I hope that helps. LOL.

Sounds like you’re describing a JP tone.

If you already have the SE and don’t want to try the Illuminators again, maybe consider the CL/LF Set - based on your list of contenders.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram