Virtual Solo with stock Pickups

• 6 Replies

Offline Fender Doll

• View Profile
Virtual Solo with stock Pickups
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:33:48 AM »
Hi there, I recently got a new Strat which feels just amazing. Played a rehearsal session over the weekend and my old HSS strat never got a look in! The current pickups or the Fender V Mod Pickups. The neck and middle I liked them and was reasonably happy with, the bridge I'm not sure. I will play another rehearsal first before I make my mind but as I have posted once before I'm very taken with the Virtual Solo pickups and considering that in the bridge. Would that likely be so powerful as to drown the V Mods out? I don't mind a bit of a signal boost because I only ever use the bridge pickup on my SSS strat for lead work, I use the in between positions more for rhythm as I find with gain it's good for heavy rhythm. I'm just wondering how powerful the VS would be alongside my current ones and would it play well with others.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Virtual Solo with stock Pickups
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
I don't think the Virtual Solo would drown out the stock V Mod pickups you have. It's not like you're getting a high output humbucker that's 4x more output.

As for how well they'll play along, I don't see why not. It just comes down to how you handle it.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Fender Doll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »
Thank you for that,

I don't mind if there is a bit of a signal boost because that is what I'm looking for, the specs on the Dimarzio website do tie in with what I'm looking for and as I have the tone wired to the bridge anyway I know I can control the tone without to much fuss.

I'd rather do that first then look the others. I've recently been very impressed with demos I've seen of the Area 61 pickup. The 58 and 67 are a bit too trebly for my tastes but the 61 I liked so may try that in the neck and middle once I've done the bridge. Alternatively I may just go Howie Simon on everyone and use virtual solos in both bridge and neck! 😀

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:39:28 PM »
No one says you can't use the same pickup in both the neck and the bridge position.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 05:10:47 AM »
The Virtual Solo has enough output to balance well with lower output single coils. I use it in a guitar with the Area 58 in the middle and the Area 67 in the neck and it does not overpower them - it balances just right with them. I would imagine that the VS to balance well with the Area 61 as well.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Fender Doll

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:10:17 AM »
Just had a response from the Dimarzio tech team who were really helpful. Their suggestion was VS in the bridge with a HB 2 in the neck. One reason I'm reluctant to put the HB 2 in the neck of my SSS strat is because I want that to go in the neck of my HSS. Yes they are both strats but they feel different and I want different pickups in both. I really don't want them to be the same in any way.
On a side note they did suggest the F Spaced Gravity Storm neck in the Bridge of my HSS, demos I've heard of that sounds awesome so I'm thinking of that with a HB2 in the neck for my HSS

My apologies if I'm waffling but I just find it really helpful to talk and share things is all so thank you for your responses.

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »
If I were you, I'd go with the Gravity Storm and HB2 in your HSS and something else in your SSS maybe something a bit more classic rockish or even something inbetween like the Injectors to add some more diversity into your arsenal of guitars.