DimarzioForum.Com > The Pickup Place

Ibanez PGM301 bridge pickup

(1/7) > >>

Shooweri:
Hi guys! Just joined the forum after reading the posts for years. Lots of useful info around and generally nice ppl.

I bought PGM301 model made in '08 couple years ago which I really enjoy to play. It has become my 'desert island' guitar since it's capable to cover a lot of different genres and playing styles. HSH pickup routing obviously helps with the 5-way switch with auto splits for both hums. I haven't found a perfect bridge pup yet though, have tried all sorts of things from Tone Zone, Paf Pro, JB, 59/Custom Hybrid and the Norton which is in it right now. I've settled to SSL-1 in the middle and Paf Joe in the neck with Alnico II magnet.

I usually play all kinds of rock from blues to shreddy metal but need something with medium output to balance with other pickups and to split well with the middle single. Clean tone should be nice as well so I'm not looking for high output or ceramic magnet pickups. The guitar itself is bright sounding with punchy mid range. Looking for pickup that has little more output and less high end than the Norton which sounds a bit too bright. I really liked the 59/Custom Hybrid in humbucker mode but hated it's split tones.

I'm really interested in the Perpetual Burn since it might be what I want in terms of overall tone. Feel free to suggest other Duncan/DiMarzio pups.

Strangeman86:
Just off the top of my head the SD Pegasus and Custom (with an unoriented A5 swapped in; that is easily my favorite version of the Custom) might be worth a look.  Also, a lesser known option, the Mojotone PW Hornet is a fantastic pickup that, from my experience, would do what you're asking of it.  Just my two cents though.

Shooweri:
Thanks for the reply! I've been thinking about the Pegasus (which I happen to have in my Ibby 7-string RGD) and although it might be good choice overall tone and outputwise it sounds quite modern to me. I'm looking more vintagey sounding and feeling pickup for the PGM. Been wondering about the Custom too but after trying 59/custom hybrid and hating it's fat split coil tone I'm pretty sure I'm not trying it.

I look into PW Hornet, seems very interesting!

DarthPhineas:
The Perpetual Burn is a little flat/even EQ wise. A little dry, overall.  The Nazgul/Sentient/Pegasus line come across as a bit lifeless and pretty compressed sounding.

The Mojotone Hornet bridge is an excellent suggestion. Very versatile and a nice musical voice. Not too hot or too mild. The Hornet neck is designed very well on its own merit, as well as being the designed pairing for the Hornet bridge.

I believe Pablo Gilberto is known to run a Super D in parallel.

buddroyce:
Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad to see you've finally decided to join!

I love the PGM-301. Wanted one for a long time myself.

With regards to a new bridge pickup, I would probably go with the AT-1. While it's got less output than the Norton but I think tonally it might be what you're looking for moving from the Norton.

If not that, than the Breed I think would also make a good contender.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version