Gravity Storm Revisited...

• 7 Replies

Strangeman86

Gravity Storm Revisited...
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:45:15 PM »
Newer guitar, time to retry something.  This is what I wanted the Breed to sound like.  Great growl, some serious low end thunder (I know some folks have found the GS's low end flubby, it's just BIG in my guitar), rounded top end and smooth.  Good response to pick attack (it gets.... bubbly for lack of a better word).  I feel like this is a happy/major-chord sounding pickup; and by contrast I feel like the Imperium is a more serious/minor-chord sounding pickup.  I haven't had a chance to put some real volume on it yet (sleeping wife and baby) but I feel like this might be tied for my favorite Dimarzio now (with the Al Di Meola).  I hope the day finds you all well.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Gravity Storm Revisited...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
I absolutely love the Gravity Storm. Glad to hear it worked out well for you too!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
Hey Strangeman86,

Noticed in your sig that you tried the Tone Zone before. How does the Gravity Storm compare? I've been itching for a new set of pups and I'm starting to think the Gravity Storm might be worth looking at.

Strangeman86

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »
To my ears the GS is more vocal and a bit rounder (but it's been a long time since I've played a TZ; perhaps someone else will chime in with fresher experiences).

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 07:20:50 PM »
The Gravity Storm has the body of the Tone Zone but with a much tighter bottom end and none of the "hair" or fizz that the Tone Zone has on the top end. As Strangeman86 mentioned, it's a lot more vocal and lot crunchier and punchier.

The Transition is closer to the Tone Zone if you wanted something that's close to the Tone Zone without being the Tone Zone.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Fender Doll

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 05:01:50 PM »
Recently I've had the guys from the Dimarzio tech team online suggest the Gravity storm F spaced neck model for the bridge of my strat. After checking it out I like the sound for my HSS strat. My question however is what does F spaced mean when referring to this pickup or in general?

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »
It just means wider Fender (F) string spacing for the poles. Standard (Gibson) spaced pick ups are a bit narrower. DiMarzio calls it F Space, other companies call it Wide or Trem space. It all means the same thing.
Follow me on Twitter