Steve Vai wiring with parallel neck

• 4 Replies

PunchRockgroin

Steve Vai wiring with parallel neck
« on: June 25, 2018, 06:16:20 AM »
I've pulled 2 X2Ns from a HH guitar to put into an HSH guitar with an SDS-1 in the middle.  I liked the X2N in the neck only position when it was wired parallel, but want to try the Vai wiring so it still splits the coils in position 4 and don't know if it's possible.  I do have a push pull pot I can use if needed.  Would this take a superswitch to wire this way?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Steve Vai wiring with parallel neck
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »
I don't see why it can't be done although having a push pull might make it easier on the wiring. I'm on the road right now so I'm not able to draw up a diagram for you. I'll see about doodling it on a napkin or something later.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 05:07:44 AM »
You definitely cannot do the regular coil tap with a 2 level 5 way switch when the pickup is in parallel - doing the split in addition would kill the output. So you will need either an additional push-pull pot or a 4 level 5 way switch (aka Super Switch).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:53:44 PM »
You should be able to manage something with a 5-way.

Check the wiring diagrams at guitarelectronics.com or call DiMarzio tech support and ask them. 
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

marcwormjim

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 06:23:34 AM »
+1 to a 4-pole, 5-way such as the Oak Grigsby superswitch.

Let’s first omit the push/pull as an option:

Achieving this with a standard Ibanez/Cor-Tek VLX912A20 Jem/RG switch that grounds the humbucker series connection in positions 2 and 4 would require that 5 and/or 1 draw signal from two contacts each, with one of the pair being the contacts that 2 and 4 send to ground. In a 2-pickup guitar, the 2502N switch typically gives you this option in position 2 or 4. Unfortunately, that switch’s capability to incorporate a third pickup is very limited.

Because of this unusual switching requirement, you require either a 4-pole, 5-way or custom-built switch.

Now: With a push/pull, you can use a VLX912A20 switch and achieve what you’re describing, but you will need to toggle the push/pull according to whether you want a. Parallel humbucker in position 1 or b. Split neck/middle in position 2. This is because the push/pull is toggling between whether or not switch position 1 draws its signal from the humbucker series connection. Selecting split neck/middle while the push/pull has the humbucker coils in parallel will end up only giving you the middle pickup by itself, due to grounding the signal from both of the parallel-joined coil-starts, rather than one when they are separate leads in normal operation.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:28:30 AM by marcwormjim »