Is the Megadrive my Unicorn?

• 3 Replies

Offline mononoaware

• View Profile
Is the Megadrive my Unicorn?
« on: June 08, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »
Lately I've been kind of obsessed with finding out more about this one. Everyone who had or has one speaks fondly of it.

But I'm having a hard time figuring out what it sounds like. "Like a Steve's Special, except not really" seems to sum up the descriptions I've read. The few demos I've found have been pretty one-sided; something about this pickup seems to compel reviewers to crank the gain to MEGA and wail away. I think I'm digging the 80s vibe, but want to know if there's more to it.

So, for anyone who has used the Megadrive, help a bro out and share some experiences? For example:

• How does it compare to, say, the Super Distortion? How about against the JB?
  • What style(s) does it excel at?
  • Are there certain woods it prefers?
  • Does it clean up when you roll back the volume?
  • Is it best for lead? Rhythm? Or something in-between?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Is the Megadrive my Unicorn?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
It's been a while since I last tested a Megadrive. Tonally it depends which way you install the pickup as the orientation changes the pickup quite a bit.

I think DarthPhineas might have more info on it as I do recall him doing a review of the pickup a few years back.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »
Leslie West, Tony MacAlpine, and Scott Dalhover are examples of players that have used the Mega Drive. Check out their styles of music and you should have a good idea of what it can do.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline bluesman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 03:26:16 PM »
I might be your unicorn, but thankfully it's a lot easier to find than some other pickups I've been hunting around for.