Speaker for an Orange Micro Dark and a guitar with Super Distortion/PAF Pro?

• 5 Replies

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
I know, I know. A fat sounding amp with a fat sounding bridge pickup/clear neck pup. I’ve only been able to hear the combination through the cab sim headphone out, and I find myself dialing the shape knob on the scooped side. I use a Boss SD-1 to tighten things up a bit. Which tight sounding speaker would complement the combination?. V-30 or similar speakers come to mind, but I would like your opinions. Of course, an SD/PAF Pro combo through a Micro Dark means hard rock and Metal.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Hard to say but V30's would definitely be a good place to start.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
V30s. I had them in a Hughes and Kettner cab back in the early 90s. Once they broke in, man those things were GREAT!
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
V30s, if you want something more traditional, or a newer Marshall cab, something like the JVM2x12, those are pretty bright. If you want something a little more modern, the DV Mark Neoclassic cabs are really high wattage, pretty bright, and sound really even across the spectrum which gives you a lot of tone shaping options with your amp.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Very true but some speakers are more suited to specific amps (such as the V30 or the EVM 12) whereas others are pretty good allrounders (like the Jensen Neos which - to my ears - work well with many amps).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
I know, I know. A fat sounding amp with a fat sounding bridge pickup/clear neck pup. I've only been able to hear the combination through the cab sim headphone out, and I find myself dialing the shape knob on the scooped side. I use a Boss SD-1 to tighten things up a bit.

You may be scooping with the shape knob, but with the sd-1 you are getting a upper mid bump much like a ts-9. It kind of makes sense as too much of one frequency can start to sound a little boxy. If I recall correctly from when I worked for an Orange retailer, the 412 cabs we had were loaded with V30s which sounded great with their 30 watt tube head that had the shape control instead of a full range of tone controls. Great amps.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 04:33:56 PM by Guitar74 »
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else