Imperium magnet swap...

• 2 Replies

Strangeman86

Imperium magnet swap...
« on: May 28, 2018, 01:16:32 AM »
Never one to leave well enough alone, I did some surgery and put a 1/4" rough A5 into my second favorite Dimarzio, the Imperium.  It's not that I didn't like the sonic qualities of the pickup with the stock thick ceramic, but it was more aggressive than I need most of the time.  The largest change is the attack.  It's less cutting now and has a more rounded punch.  Everything growls and (using a modern sonic reference) purrs more than before.  Cleans are more bubbly and less glassy, driven tones have a bit of cream to them and the pickup feels a bit less compressed.  In the context of its new home (my wife's guitar, which is very les-paul-esque) it sounds huge and hasn't shown any drawbacks in the modification yet (more to follow if it does though).  I hope the day finds you all well and happy modifications to all!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:19:37 AM by Strangeman86 »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Imperium magnet swap...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 11:32:45 PM »
Cool. That's great to know!

You wouldn't happen to have sound samples would you?
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Strangeman86

Re: Imperium magnet swap...
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:43:43 AM »
Unfortunately no.  I don't have the extra cash for any sort of decent recording (magnet swaps are about all I can swing these days when the mood strikes me), but perhaps one day.