Hvy Blues 2 vs Little '59 in neck

• 3 Replies

Offline Kurt R Kish

• Owned or own:
    • View Profile
Hvy Blues 2 vs Little '59 in neck
« on: June 05, 2020, 03:59:29 PM »
Which one would be brighter in Strat neck?

Middle p'up will be Injector nck and Bridge p'up will be a Virtual Solo.
(500k pots always)
HS-1,2 and3- VirtuAL 2 nk md & brdg- Cl. o 55- VVBlues, 54 Pro- Fast Track 1- Pro Track- Paf Pro- Super 3- FRED- H f.H- Tone Zone- Evo neck- Breed brdg- Paf Classic set- VPAF set- EJ set- Mo Joe- 36th set- Norton- Air Norton- Air Zone- Super Distortion- Injector Neck- Area 61- Area 57- Virtual Blues

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: Hvy Blues 2 vs Little '59 in neck
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 06:52:18 PM »
The Little 59 IMO is a pretty bunk-sounding pickup. Both too mushy in the low end and too stiff in the highs, and annoyingly fizzy on top without having any upper mids for articulation.

The Heavy Blues 2 will be a bit darker, but also actually good. It'll be a good match tonally for the Injector and Virtual Solo.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 02:53:59 AM »
Of those two I only played the Heavy Blues in a neck position of a strat (in fact I still do). If you are after a fat single coil tone, this does it really well.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 11:43:42 AM »
It's apples and oranges. I like the full size Duncan '59 in the neck with a two humbuckers setup and 5 way super switch. I really don't care for the Little '59. To my ears they really aren't that similar. The full size '59 in the neck of my Big Apple Strat almost has a sort of single coil quality to it that just sings, whereas the little one (keep in mind that this is subjective) just doesn't sound right to my ears by comparison. Keep in mind that the little '59 is made to replicate a full size humbucker that was made to replicate old humbuckers. The Heavy Blues 2, on the other hand is a nice hot single coil tone. It is my neck single coil of choice because it is hot, but not muddy, bright, but not overbearing, and is as great for high gain neck pickup soloing as it is for lower gain blues stuff. Oh yeah, and it's hum cancelling.

If it were me, it would be hands down the Heavy Blues 2 if you are going for a hum cancelling single coil tone.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else