neck and middle singles to match with Air Norton S in bridge position

• 5 Replies

Offline appar111

• View Profile
Looking for recommendations for neck and middle pickups (single coil sized, but most likely something from Dimarzio's rail pickups) that will match well with an Air Norton S in the bridge position of my strat (alder hardtail with maple neck/rosewood fretboard).

Up to this point, I had been using an EVH Wolfgang humbucker in the bridge and it sounded great (single humbucker setup, no other pickups on the guitar).  I recently pulled an Air Norton S from the neck position of a super strat as it sounded too warm in that position, and decided to put it in the bridge of my main strat. 

It sounds fantastic there, so I'm wondering what might match up well with it.  I can't stand the in-between sounds on a strat, so this will just be a 3-way blade style switch, and no coil taps, parallel wiring, etc.

I'm thinking a Chopper in the middle and a Pro Track in the neck, or possibly a Chopper in the middle and neck positions.  Looking for something thicker but clear out of the neck and middle positions, nothing thin or typical "strat" sounding.

What else might be good?  Mainly distorted playing, but a lot of stuff where I use the volume knob to clean up the sound.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So far my favorite "fat" strat neck pickup is the Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 but that one still retains a stratty character. As a step up from there, SatchTrack or Chopper could work but I never tried the SatchTrack at all and have not tried the Chopper in the neck - this may be a lot darker than the Air Norton S in the bridge.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline SUPERPOWERS3

• View Profile
Hello . I just saw your post.

I recently pulled the AIR Norton S from the neck position of a strat because I got the same result.
Lots of mud.

I am putting it in the bridge of a Duo Sonic this weekend.
How would you characterize the Norton in the bridge?

I've heard mixed reviews.

Why do you like the Norton in the bridge?
Is the mud "gone" when you play it clean?

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Chopper in the neck is indeed dark. 

Do you want the guitar to sound like an hss strat or a 3 humbucker guitar?  If the latter, try fast track 1 neck middle, or ft1 neck chopper middle. 

If the former, I use ANS bridge with 61 middle 67 neck.

Offline SUPERPOWERS3

• View Profile
Chopper in the neck is indeed dark. 

Do you want the guitar to sound like an hss strat or a 3 humbucker guitar?  If the latter, try fast track 1 neck middle, or ft1 neck chopper middle. 

If the former, I use ANS bridge with 61 middle 67 neck.

I appreciate the help.
I used it in the bridge with an HS-3 in the neck. Sounds pretty good.

BluesJam

The HS series is low output, but I think they sound great.  You can wire them in series and single coil.  I think the HS2 sounds great.