Suggestions for a John Petrucci style middle single coil pickup.

• 3 Replies

Ibanez88

I own an Ibanez  HSS configuration guitar, fitted with a Satch Track in the neck and Mo Joe in the bridge. I am looking for a middle single coil pickup to replace the stock Ibanez one.
I would like a John Petrucci Shred vibe that has a good amount of sustain but can clean up too. I was looking at the Vintage Blues 2 pickup or maybe an Air Norton S. If there is such a single coil pickup similar to any of his signature humbuckers?  I was also thinking about possibly just buying John Petrucci signature set for my cheap Epiphone Les Paul but because that guitar is worth around £120 I just feel it wouldn't sound any better         

Offline devastone

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a John Petrucci style middle single coil pickup.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 01:56:55 PM »
Since John neither uses middle pickups or single coils, probably not going to matter that much for JP sounds.  I would stick to neck and bridge positions for JP sounds and find a pickup for the middle that can get those in-between strat-ty sounds which is what a middle single does best. 

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »
Your best bet would probably be the Air Norton S. No idea how it'll sound in the middle position but it's probably the closest thing I can think of for what you're looking for.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 05:51:38 AM »
Definatly Air Norton S. Vintage Blues 2 (Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2?) has good sustain and cleaning up very well but it more close to Malmsteen tone than Petrucci.