Left right play/rattle on DiMarzio pot

• 2 Replies

ghdunn

Left right play/rattle on DiMarzio pot
« on: April 29, 2018, 06:34:08 AM »
Hi,

I recently bought a Collings I35 LC which has "DiMarzio 500K / Jupiter Vintage Yellow" pots.  when I got it home i noticed both tone pots were just a little bit 'wobbly' so I returned it to the dealer who returned it to UK distribution.  Apparently they then got in touch with DiMarzio who said that it was 'normal' to have a little bit of 'left/right' play on those pots.   Does that sound reasonable?  Seems strange on such a high end guitar.

Any views welcome.

GD

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Left right play/rattle on DiMarzio pot
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 06:15:09 PM »
Maybe they do consider it normal for their pots to have some play. Myself, I don’t.

Decide what pot you’d prefer.  Might be a good idea to avoid the “what is easiest on the wallet” approach. CTS and Bourns are both nice options, for example. Pretty sure you can find that for around $5 a pop.

Replace them.

Maybe don’t sweat the place you bought it. I keep a wad of Bourns pots on hand and I totally expect to swap out the pots on most Guitars when I first get them.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Left right play/rattle on DiMarzio pot
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
If it bothers you replace them. There's nothing wrong with it as it's just a bit more space between the shaft and the housing.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter