Area T Neck & Area T Hot Bridge

• 2 Replies

Offline Wamba

• View Profile
Area T Neck & Area T Hot Bridge
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »
Greetings, first-time poster...

I recently upgraded my G&L ASAT Tribute Classic with Area T pickups.

The stock pickups (MFD) sounded great but they didn't do higher gain stuff well and squeal like a pig when the volume gets up. So, after a ton of research, I purchased a set of Area T's from a guy on Reverb.com. I also upgraded the electronics (purchased from a guy who custom builds guitar electronics), new CTS pots, cloth covered wiring, treble bleed and PTB/Bass contour.

A friend (electrical engineer) help me install the "new" pickups (using DiMarzio diagrams and instructions) and double check all of the electronic connections.

This set-up sounds amazing. Great cleans, twangs like a Tele on steroids and they can bring the ROCK.

The pickups are nearly dead quiet when clean and twangy but get surprisingly noisy (worse than the original MFD's) in higher gain settings.

So, here's my question, is this "normal" or did I miss something?

Offline Wamba

• View Profile
Re: Area T Neck & Area T Hot Bridge
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 03:14:03 PM »
I think I have narrowed the noise down to a Joyo American Sound that for whatever reason doesn't seem to get along with these new pickups. These pickups sound amazing by the way!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Area T Neck & Area T Hot Bridge
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 04:31:09 AM »
I have the same set and mine are very quiet even in higher gain settings.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b