Tightest and most percussive bridge Humbuckers for chugging rhythms?.

• 5 Replies

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
I would like something to help me tighten up an Orange Micro Dark, and it will fitted in the bridge position of a bolt on, Basswood body, Maple neck single cut 24.75 guitar. Thanks.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Tightest and most percussive bridge Humbuckers for chugging rhythms?.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 05:27:42 PM »
Tight, percussive, chugging.

A few flavored accents to consider. For a Sledgehammer thump to the chest, look at the Titan. For a laser scalpel, look at the D Activator.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline jcknowles89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
So may not be the most helpful but Anything in the Seymour Duncan Custom Line is not tight at all. I dont know where people here the tightness in those pickups. For the most part Dimarzios (other than PAF reproductions) will be tighter than most others as Dimarzio uses shorter screw poles. Usually double hex screws will produce a tighter sound (although that is not a universal rule just in most cases). I can personally vouch for the Seymour Duncan Omega and would Imagine the Titan would be the same way as periphery is a very rhythmic band.

However, In My experience, Pickups will only do so much. Most times tightness comes from the amp and pedals and its up to the pickups not to mess it up. I traded a PRS Archon for an EVH 5153 for this exact reason. Orange is usually pretty loose so you might be happier with a tube screamer or a Klon clone with the gain turned down. Horizon devices precision drive, and Catalin Bread Naga Viper will do the same thing.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 11:00:54 AM »
A Mojotone PW Hornet will give you a wonderfully tight bottom and is punchy as all get out.

Also a fan of the Hornet. Criminally under rated and overlooked.

When it comes to the Periphery stuff, the Titan gets my vote. The Aftermath would come next. As a set, the Alpha-Omega leaves me a little underwhelmed due to the neck pup...the bridge is alright, but reminds me of a putting a ceramic in a Full Shred.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 11:15:36 PM »
I like the Gravity Storm for tight percussive stuff myself but if you want something with a lot of beef, there's always the Titan.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline HeyNorton!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 10:26:48 PM »
SD fill shred.  Tighter than tight.