Imperium

• 3 Replies

Strangeman86

Imperium
« on: March 16, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
The best thing I can say about this humbucker is that it's extremely fun to play with any amount of dirt (the clean isn't quite as amazing, but it's still great). This is probably the 'happiest' metal pickup I've ever heard (if any quality of a pickup could be quantified/categorized as 'happy') and it doesn't fight me no matter what I try and throw at it. I could literally write a few paragraphs (and did, but they sounded super cheesy) about how much I enjoy this pickup. I only wish it had a touch more low end. I got it on a whim and have no buyers remorse. Oh, by the by, check out the official demo that Mr. Davidson did, the sound is very true to life.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Imperium
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 10:39:56 PM »
The Imperium reminds me of a Dominion with a focus on the lower mids and more compression.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline D20

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
I've had this pickup suggested to me recently, but have never heard any demos of it. Would the Dominion have more dynamics than this pickup?

They look somewhat similar when comparing the two as far as Bass, Mids, and Treble.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
I've had this pickup suggested to me recently, but have never heard any demos of it. Would the Dominion have more dynamics than this pickup?

They look somewhat similar when comparing the two as far as Bass, Mids, and Treble.

Depends on what sort of dynamics one is looking for.

I’m not seeing that much of a similarity on the bridge specs on the DMZ site, just a little with the bridge. Plus, what’s on paper may or may not translate the same.

Whatever one person hears can be totally different to someone else, based on the guitar, the amp, the cabs/speakers, etc.

Personally, I generally like something a little more open sounding and would prefer the Dominion over the Imperium. Or there is the Super 3, which sort of covers what both of them can do.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram