Bridge Pickup for Squier Jim Root Tele

• 5 Replies

Offline D20

• View Profile
Bridge Pickup for Squier Jim Root Tele
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »
I'm looking to get a passive bridge pickup for my Squier Jim Root tele. The guitar is super heavy which i love! Just shy of 10 lbs. I love this guitar, but think the pickups could do for an upgrade. I'm a bit torn lately between the Dimarzio Dominion and the Duncan SH-5, maybe a Super Distortion. I'm leaning towards the Dominion currently but thought i would ask to see if anyone has experience with the Dominion in mahagony?

I've mainly been an EMG 81 user in the past, but i'm looking for a good passive pickup.

Also...I would need to get the F Spaced pickup correct for a Squier Jim Root Tele?

Here is a demo track of the type of music i'm currently writing/recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/exm92rno90v4rqi/D20%20-%20Demo.mp3?dl=0
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:55:02 PM by D20 »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge Pickup for Squier Jim Root Tele
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:33 AM »
Not much help with the pickups as I have only played the SH-5 of the ones you mentioned.

With a Telecaster the string spacing at the bridge is normally 52mm so an F-spaced pickup is the way to go. However, this is not true in all cases - I have one guitar that has a 50mm spacing but that is the exception.

In most cases, the effect is cosmetic but when in doubt I feel it is better to err on the wide side than having a too narrow pickup.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 10:34:54 PM »

I've mainly been an EMG 81 user in the past, but i'm looking for a good passive pickup.

Are you looking for something with active EMG 81 characteristics?

If not, how would you describe your goal? 
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline D20

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »

Are you looking for something with active EMG 81 characteristics?

If not, how would you describe your goal?

I'm looking for something that will be a good rhythm pickup/be somewhat good as well with cleans. I don't play lead all that much. I play about 75% distorted tones as well. I like EMG 81 characteristics, but i'm looking for something that will be a bit more dynamic and something that will react to my picking more as well.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »
Of all the ones you e mentioned in this thread, the Super D is the only one I’ve not tried.....it appears to be harder than expected to place an order with DMZ sales these days.

Allowing for no experience with the Super D, I’d go with the Dominion out of your list. If you can’t get it clean enough with the amp that you have, maybe wire it to be switched to parallel or maybe split.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline jcknowles89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »
Based off of sound samples I would say dominion fits your Description pretty well. I havent tried the super D but currently have the Super 3 which sounds good but its got more of a general mid bump rather than the High mid spike that youd find in EMG 81's. I would imagine the Super D would be even more balanced than the Super 3. All that to say from the sound samples that I have heard Dominion sounds closest to having the High Mid Spike you need.