Best Twin Blade Single Coil Size Humbucker for Split Coil Sound

• 2 Replies

Offline Psalm150

• View Profile
Best Twin Blade Single Coil Size Humbucker for Split Coil Sound
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:18:55 AM »
Just curious if anyone knows which of the DiMarzio Twin Blade Single Coil Size Humbuckers might work best for split coil mode...I have a Warmoth Telecaster project i'm working on and have purchased the Chopper T for the bridge position....Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with splitting one of these models in the neck and which might produce the best sound in split coil mode...I know there is no way for it to sound exactly like a tele or strat single coil but looking for an option that will give good results in both humbucker and split coil mode....Style of music is modern worship (Bethel, Hillsong, Vertical Church, etc.)...when I asked the DiMarzio tech support, they suggested the Satch Track for best split coil results...they said the Cruiser would not sound that great split....what about the others (Pro Track, Tone Zone, Fast Track 1, Air Norton S, etc)? Any input would be most appreciated! Note, not looking for a pure Telecaster sound, moreso looking for the most versatile setup that can achieve good options in multiple switching configurations (humbucker, split coil, series, parallel)...
Thanks in advance!

marcwormjim

Re: Best Twin Blade Single Coil Size Humbucker for Split Coil Sound
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 06:30:26 AM »
The current selection has us choosing by output rating as much as anything. I’ve only used the Air Norton S and Satch Track (both in neck position).

- I found the AN in series to be as muddy as its big brother, quite a bit nicer when split, and a compromise between the two in parallel. I tried it in two guitars before selling it. Others may prefer the way it thickened up with gain. Check out videos of Greg Howe playing his old Laguna sig for examples.

- I found the Satch Track superior in every respect. I also found the parallel and split sounds so similar as to often only use the parallel option for noiseless single coil sounds. I find its throaty midrange really growls the more gain is added. As with its big brother the PAF Joe (which I have in a different guitar), its series mode sounds like someone trying to get a Hendrix sound from a humbucker, whereas the split mode has more of a polite SRV thing going (more “Lenny” than “Texas Flood”).

As always, your mileage may vary. I’d love to check out some of the others in the range.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:32:25 AM by marcwormjim »

Offline Psalm150

• View Profile
Re: Best Twin Blade Single Coil Size Humbucker for Split Coil Sound
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:31:16 AM »
Hey, thanks for the great input!....I think I will go with the Satch Track option in the neck position and see how much versatility I can squeeze out of it with the different wiring configs....thanks for helping to seal the deal! God bless!