Anybody know what the Norton DP160 might sound like on the neck of a guitar?

• 2 Replies

Offline NateGrimm

• View Profile
I know it's a bridge pickup, but I've heard of people pairing up similar pickups in the necks of their guitars, like the Custom with the JB or the Dimebucker with the JB jr. or the Evolution with the Tone Zone, so I'm curious if anybody's ever paired up the Norton DP160 bridge pickup into the neck of a guitar with a hotter pickup on the bridge? If not, does anybody have any input on what you think it would sound like? I'm curious because I have a Norton and I'm not sure what to pair it with or do what with it.

When I bought it, I'd heard it was the closest DiMarzio had to a JB. Now I know that a) that's not true and b) It's not nearly as ballsy compared to a JB (at least not from what I've heard from it in comparison vids. It sounds like a darker, noticeably much more polite, more constrained version of the JB I guess) so I'm not sure what to do with it, as I was going to pair it with my Jazz to have something similar to a Hot Rodded set. So I was wondering what might happen if I paired it off with like a Dimebucker or an Evolution or a Duncan Distortion or Invader or a Gibson Dirty Fingers or something?

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'd love to her your input!

Offline StratDaddy

• View Profile
By bored experimentation I discovered I love how it sounds. I get no mud in my alder strat. It really brings to mind the thickness of certain shorter scale set neck guitars famous for thick lush humbucker tones.