building a Super Strat

• 3 Replies

Stepan

building a Super Strat
« on: January 22, 2018, 01:25:21 PM »
For many years I played Fender Strats with a number of those using HS3 pickups. I gravitated off to other guitars for quite awhile and in the process, have zeroed in on what is the ideal guitar for me (it only took 30+ years...). Essentially - Alder body, maple neck/fretboard, 12" radius, traditional strat trem, humbucker in the bridge, singlecoil in the neck.

I tend to play a mixture of melodic power metal (ala Stratovarius) and Doom metal (ala Candlemass) and favour D standard and drop C.

Considering the DSonic for the bridge but was considering a good single for the bridge that would be a decent match (unless someone has another idea for a bridge pickup - crunch lab maybe?). The HS3 is relatively low powered but I am looking for something "Yngwie-ish" in a neck pick up lead tone but with a bit more output. Was consider a Virtual Blues 2 or Injector to pair with the D-Sonic a bit better - thoughts?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: building a Super Strat
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 04:25:11 PM »
Check out some of what Paul Gilbert does with the Injector
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 12:49:46 AM »
Chopper in the neck is like Yngwie on steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 03:45:36 AM »
For Yngwie tones I would choose the Injector neck.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b