Looking for a Bridge Single Coil Sized Pickup for Versatility/Downtuning

• 1 Replies

GoodVaibrations

I got a used Chapman ML1 Pro 2015 last year that had the pickups replaced with the Paul Gilbert injectors. I find the neck pickup sounds great for bluesy and rock leads and the middle area 67 has wonderful glassy cleans but the bridge is really harsh to my ears. It sounds kind of like a one trick pony to me with so much attack and high end. Anyways I am wondering what bridge pickup anyone would recommend to be able to get full rock rhythm tones in a single coil size. This is also my only guitar without a locking nut so I would like to be able to go into lower tunings without it getting flubby. I keep the guitar normally in Eb or drop C#.  I was thinking about the single coil sized super distortion, but it has a lot more output then my other pickups so I thought it could be a problem. If it matters the guitar has a mahogany body with a walnut top with a vintage tremolo that I blocked off. I use 10-52 strings on it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Bridge Single Coil Sized Pickup for Versatility/Downtuning
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:49:43 AM »
The only pickup hotter in the Area line than the Injector bridge would be the Virtual Solo. However, if the Injector bridge is far too bright for you I don't think you would be happy with the Virtual Solo.

If you don't mind double rail pickups, the Chopper would be potential solution. I have one in a strat together with an Area 58 in the middle and an Area 67 in the neck, and they balance very well in tone and output. Since you have an Injector neck in the neck (great pickup BTW) you could go even higher output in the bridge, e.g. with a Pro Track. If you go with something like the Super Distortion S in the bridge you should split it in combination with the Area 67 whereas this would not be necessary with the Chopper.

Since you also mentioned that you want to use the guitar for lower tunings I stick with the Chopper recommendation. The Chopper should not be flubby with your set up.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b