Any idea on Kelly Johnson of Girlschool's pickups in her Les Paul ?

• 3 Replies

Offline AllstonMa

• View Profile
Hi All
Trying to clone Kelly Johnson of Girlschool's Les Paul setup for my (healthily) Girlschool obsessed daughter. Did alot of Googleing around what her pickups were, looks to be a traditional DM Superdistortion in the bridge and a minihumbucker in the neck. Any idea as to what the neck position pickup was ? Stock Gibson ? Something DM made ?
Many Thanks
TH

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Any idea on Kelly Johnson of Girlschool's pickups in her Les Paul ?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
I'd bet its the stock pickup that came with that model. There weren't that many aftermarket pickups that size.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:51:16 AM »
I'd bet its the stock pickup that came with that model. There weren't that many aftermarket pickups that size.

Good call. I bet she did not replace it because she rarely (if at all) used it.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline AllstonMa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:47:34 AM »
Thanks everyone
Picked up an Epi Paul copy, a DM super distortion and an Artec Mini Humbucker. Should be plugging it into my Marshall by the weekend.  With any luck, I should get something close to Kelly's sound, and if the daughter doesn't like it well I got another axe to play. I mean a paul with an SD in the bridge position ? Gonna be awesome even if its not the "right" sound.
~TH
PS This just in from DM tech support confirms what folks are saying:
"I don't think we ever worked directly with her, and I cannot therefore be certain. The bridge pickup in her Les Paul was almost certainly a Super Distortion, and the neck pickup was most likely a stock Gibson minihumbucker."