DiMarzio Super Distortion with Air Norton

• 6 Replies

Offline rafsza

• View Profile
DiMarzio Super Distortion with Air Norton
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
Following the advisory Pickup Picker on the DiMarzio site, I ordered DiMarzio Super Distortion for the bridge position and Air Norton for the neck position. Have somebody experience with this configuration? Will it work for a general use? I play only blues, classic and instrumental rock.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DiMarzio Super Distortion with Air Norton
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
I played both pickups but not together in the same guitar. In general they should work even though neither would be my first choice. For the styles mentioned I would go lighter in output but that is personal preference.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline rafsza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:15:43 PM »
If lower the gain on an amp for both the humbuckers, will they sound like PAFs?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
No. A PAF has not only lower output than either SD or Air Norton but also a different frequency curve.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline rafsza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
In my opinion, DiMarzio site should be reformed. I have already found several complaints about their weak recommendations on the Internet. The Seymour Duncan site is much more comprehensive in this way but I prefer typical voicing of Dimarzio pickups. Perhaps I could rectify my beginner's mistake if I buy another two Dimarzios which are sonically paired with my Super Distortion and Air Norton. I plan to change pickups also on my another guitar with a maple body. The new and old humbuckers could be paired with each other on those two guitars and enhance playing styles. Any suggestion on Super Distortion and Air Norton pairing will be highly appreciated. Please help me.   :-\

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 08:09:46 PM »
In my opinion, DiMarzio site should be reformed. I have already found several complaints about their weak recommendations on the Internet. The Seymour Duncan site is much more comprehensive in this way but I prefer typical voicing of Dimarzio pickups. Perhaps I could rectify my beginner's mistake if I buy another two Dimarzios which are sonically paired with my Super Distortion and Air Norton. I plan to change pickups also on my another guitar with a maple body. The new and old humbuckers could be paired with each other on those two guitars and enhance playing styles. Any suggestion on Super Distortion and Air Norton pairing will be highly appreciated. Please help me.   :-\
Paf pro works well with the super d. Or maybe a super 2.  Air norton, I’m not sure of with the super d, but works great with a Air Zone or Tone Zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:05:40 AM »
Since you said you ordered them already the best thing to do is to try them. Only then you will be able to evaluate what you are missing or whether you are missing anything at all. Before that there is no real reason to be worried. If you like the tone you are getting with them, they are good, no matter whether other players have different preferences.

Cheers Stephan