Initial Review of the DiMarzio Titan Bridge

• 6 Replies

Offline dxlxntxxlxr

• View Profile
Initial Review of the DiMarzio Titan Bridge
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »
I recently installed a Dmz titan in the bridge of my ibanez rgt (hardtail, dual humbucker, 5 way, 5 pc maple walnut neck, mahog wings), replacing the sh-11 custom custom. It was absolutely horrible for anything tuned below d standard, including drop c even. Wasnt tight enough for chuggy stuff, but i didnt expect that from a medium-low output a2 pickup. Im honestly at a loss as to why it was ever installed in a guitar designed for metal (it also has a 59 bridge in the neck...people do weird shit). This was my first pickup install, and to all the guys who have never soldered before and are scared of installing a pickup on their own, just do it, it's the easiest thing ever.

The low end is tight, but dynamic as hell. Your picking needs to be very consistent, if its not, youll definitely hear it. Its very scooped out and i brought the bass up to 6 as opposed to having it at 4 to compensate and theres no mud, even with the artificial bass boost. The midrange very pronounced. I went from having my mids at 7 to having them at 4 is pretty spikey but that can be fixed with a height adjustment. The titan is ridiculously sensitive to height adjustments. Itll go from over the top tight and gainy (super djent) to a bit more relaxed and smooth, but still tight and controlled. I seriously spent about 10 total minutes fucking with the pickup height. The highs are also very pronounced, but less so than the mids. No annoying spikes, not harsh, but very present and clear. All the strings have equal volume, the titan is incredibly clear with big chords under high gain as well as mid gain and cleans. It has the best cleans ive ever gotten out of a bridge pickup (about the same as the bkp juggernaut). Compared to other pickups it's somewhere between a dactivator and an illuminator (or between a nazgul and an omega). Hit me up with any questions and i'll reply asap, i know this review is a bit shite
Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR (Duncan Custom B/DD Distortion N)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM Mystic Sea Green Burst (BKP Juggernauts)
Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
Laney IRT Studio

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Initial Review of the DiMarzio Titan Bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »
The Titan is a solid offering.  After grabbing a bridge model, I knew I'd have to give the neck a go as well.  I think the Titan and the Illuminator can be considered closely related, tone wise.  The Titan more compressed and tight and the Illuminator more organic and open... but both seem to have a very similar DNA.

It'd take a lot to get me to trust an A2 pickup in anything tuned lower than Eb.  Even then, I'd prefer a pretty bright guitar in most cases. 

The one that was in the neck.... guys like Dave Mustaine and Skolnik use that in the neck.... Dime used a bridge model in the neck and Vivian Campbell uses on for Last In Line.  Not a fan of the current production line, but the older ones are better.  I think there are far better options in the neck for metal.

Anyhoo... I think I read that Jake had previously used the Holy Diver and the VHII, although I thought he might have used the Aftermath at some point.  I do get the vibe that the Titan has more in common with the Juggernaut, which I think both have more going on than the set used by that band's 3rd guitar player.

The Titan is another one of those that gets attached to a genre and can be overlooked for the other cool things it can do.

Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline dxlxntxxlxr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »
I absolutely loved the illuminator, it was just missing something in the lows and low mids when tuned to drop c. However, it couldve been the fact that i was playing the petrucci majesty sig in guitar center with floppy ass strings (probably 10s). I think theyre much better suited to standard tuning than the titans, which makes sense. I might put one in my soloist
Laney IRT Studio

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
Overall, the Illuminators suit my needs better.  But... I generally tune to E standard.  My strings are 9-42 or 10-46, depending on the guitar.

No idea what the EBMM JP Majesty sounds like.  I tried to talk to the EBMM guys in a booth at a show last year and they were literally clueless as to what was going on with that guitar.  Plus, I prefer Floyds.   ;)
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline dxlxntxxlxr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »
Man if you ever get a chance to play a majesty...itll be an amazing experience. That guitar just goes. But playability wise its basically the same as a sterling maj but the sterling pickups are crap. Sterling maj + illuminators = \m/. I used to be in love with floyds but i kinda grew out of it. Im more of a rhythm player so i dont have a need for it except to just have it in 1 to 3 guitars at most. Ive got pretty much no tolerance for trems that arent floyds though, cause whats the point? If ur gonna b dealing with a trem, it better be the most solid trem in existence not that non locking stupid crap  ;D
Laney IRT Studio

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 11:15:31 PM »
But playability wise its basically the same as a sterling maj but the sterling pickups are crap.

You do know that DiMarzio makes all the EBMM pickups, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dxlxntxxlxr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 01:13:27 PM »
Wow i had no idea! i didnt know dimarzio could make a pickup set that was that mediocre! Are you absolutely sure?!
Laney IRT Studio