Anyone uses or has played the Satch Track neck and Mo Joe bridge in one guitar?

• 7 Replies

Offline effectsman

• View Profile
I'm thinking of putting this combination into my 7/8 size alder Strat style guitar. Anyone played these two in the one guitar, or use them in one guitar?

My only concern about the two of them is that Joe seems to have quickly abandoned the Satch Track neck in favour of a sustainer, and the Mo Joe seems fairly bright, so I'm not sure it would be the best choice for an alder body 25.5" guitar.

I'm just looking for a single coil size neck pickup to match with a good mid focused bridge humbucker that is not too bright for an alder guitar. Does anyone that's played Joe's combination of pickups think they'll work for what I want?

marcwormjim

If you’re concerned about brightness, the Gravity Storm may be an alternative to the Mo Joe.

I’ve used the Satch Track in a bright RG and an all-maple Steinberger. Joe gets a “throatier” sound out of it than I do, but it does the job of being a single-sized version of the PAF Joe.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
IMO, Mo' Joe is too bright. It's all relative anyway. IMO, it may be brighter sounding than other pickups, but it's not like it's unpleasant or anything

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
I'm thinking of putting this combination into my 7/8 size alder Strat style guitar. Anyone played these two in the one guitar, or use them in one guitar?

My only concern about the two of them is that Joe seems to have quickly abandoned the Satch Track neck in favour of a sustainer, and the Mo Joe seems fairly bright, so I'm not sure it would be the best choice for an alder body 25.5" guitar.

I'm just looking for a single coil size neck pickup to match with a good mid focused bridge humbucker that is not too bright for an alder guitar. Does anyone that's played Joe's combination of pickups think they'll work for what I want?

What pups are you using in that guitar and what do you want more/less of from them?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline effectsman

• View Profile

What pups are you using in that guitar and what do you want more/less of from them?

I've got Dimarzio Area 61s in the neck and middle, and a custom wound humbucker in the bridge which was wound by the maker of the guitar, so I don't know its strength. I think its a hot PAF.

For the neck I want less treble, more mids and more power, like a P90 strength. Bridge I want to de-emphasize the treble (cause its 25.5" scale + bright woods) more mids and hot PAF or greater strength.

I guess I've always admired Satriani's tone where goes for a Strat tone but bigger and bolder, whereas someone like Vai I've never wanted his tone. However I am concerned that maybe Joe's latest pickups could be too bright and he uses basswood bodies as opposed to alder.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:49:29 AM by effectsman »

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
The neck and middle I reckon the Injector bridge might do it

Offline harmonics

• View Profile
try with mine too
the Norton : the perfect mix between the fred and tone zone
paf joe
fred
and now, norton

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What values are your pots? If they are 500k, try 250k. That should take some of the treble off. If you don't have 250k pots at hand you can also solder a 470k to 560k resistor in parallel to the existing pots. A 470k resistor would give you a total load of approx. 235k, a 560k resistor a load of approx. 265k - close enough. That would be the inexpensive solution.

If you go that route, try also to run the humbucker with a 250k load and see whether you like it.

If the pots are already 250k or you want/need a bit more oomph than the stock pickups I also vote for Injector middle and neck. The Virtual Vintage 54 Pro is not too different from the Area 61 but I only have a direct comparison between them for the bridge position. There the difference was mainly a softer attack on the 54, output was roughly the same. The Injectors have noticeably more while still sounding like a strat. With the Injectors you should keep (or change to) the 500k pots.

With the 500k pots and Injectors, the AT-1 would be a great match and would give you more mids but it is not a Hot PAF tone. Hot PAF tone would be more like a Duncan Custom 5.

Cheers Stephan

Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b