Ibanez RG HSH pickup suggestions

• 8 Replies

Offline cahumb

• View Profile
Ibanez RG HSH pickup suggestions
« on: January 02, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
Hello, thank you for helping me.
I have been looking forward to adding new pickups for my Ibanez RG, the DiMarzio/IBZ that came with it just don't cut it anymore.
So far I have come up with these pickup combos basig myself on sound samples and youtube demos:
Combo 1:
Bridge: Air Zone (More versatile tone zone)
Middle: The Chopper (Richie Kotzen Fan, punchier strat?)
Neck: PAF Joe (Jazz-like)
Combo 1:
Bridge: AT-1 (Ballsier air zone?)
Middle: Red Velvet (Strat-Tele hybrid?)
Neck: PAF Joe (Jazz-like)
Allow me to explain the thinking behind my choices: I want a very nice Bridge tone for shred, that also keeps clarity when chording, I also want a decent tone that can pass off as strat-y funky and in the neck I want a nice pickup that can do jazz-like cleans, as far as I know the PAF Joe does this really well.
I will add coil splits too just for added versatility.
Which one would you suggest more? Maybe some other pickups?
Thanks again

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Ibanez RG HSH pickup suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »
For starters, please explain more about your current pickups and what you want more or less of.

Then, what style of music are you playing?  Are there certain players that have a tone that you’d like to go for? 

What is going on with the rest of your rig?  Pedals, amp, cabs, speakers, etc.

When you check out samples online, are they official samples presented by DiMarzio or some guy playing in his bedroom in to his iPhone?  And what are you using to listen to those samples?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline cahumb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:46:29 AM »
Ok.
I currently have the stock Dimarzio/Ibz pickups in my guitar, they get too muddy sometimes, I need clarity, they also are pretty aimed towards 80s style so I need more versatility.

I play in a hard rock band so I need a shred bridge tone, but I am also starting to get into other styles of music, namely fusion so I need decent jazzy and funk cleans.

My setup is fine for what I do (shred) and I don't think the problem's there (Carvin V3m), also has a devent clean channel.

I check both the DiMarzio samples and youtube stuff, I think no one on youtube is dumb enough to record pickup demos on an iPhone, there are pretty good sample sounds on youtube, compression makes ait a bit inaccurate it but I need to listen to the sound from someone other than DiMarzio trying to shove it's products in my face.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
I think no one on youtube is dumb enough to record pickup demos on an iPhone,

Oh yes they are.   

Offline cahumb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »
Ok, fair enough. Discussing  the variety of recording methods employed by youtubers for pickup demos is is beyond the scope of the thread, you'll have to take my word when I say I listened to demos recorded at least using an interface.
Can I get pickup suggestions or (constructive) criticism about my chosen pickup combinations?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:02:55 PM by cahumb »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:09:48 AM »

Offline dxlxntxxlxr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 09:47:55 PM »
For the neck, if the paf pro is anything to go by, the paf joe is a fantastic choice. Personally i like a bit fuller mids than a paf style pickup provides so id go liquifire or if you want a bit more of a punchy single coily sound then the air norton. Thats just personal preference, i have no objective complaints about the paf pro. As far as the bridge goes, i havent tried the air zone, but the tone zone was awesome. Id go illuminator instead, its just a bit clearer and more defined. I have a titan, which is great down tuned but its pretty light on bass, illuminator is better for standard tuning and is just a tad more versatile.
Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR (Duncan Custom B/DD Distortion N)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM Mystic Sea Green Burst (BKP Juggernauts)
Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
Laney IRT Studio

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 03:38:55 AM »
AT-1 is a good choice for the bridge. No experience with the Air Zone.
The middle pickup may be fine in combination with the AT-1 in split mode, so I would try that first before changing the middle pickup. If you want to change the middle pickup I would probably take the Area 58 or Virtual Vintage 54 Pro over either the Chopper or the True Velvet.
For the neck I would choose a low output model, so the PAF Joe could work well. No personal experience with that pickup though.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:29:50 PM »
I have found 2 sets that I really like in my RG's. One has an Air Zone bridge, VV 54 Pro middle, and Paf Pro neck. The other has a Fred bridge, Area 61 middle, and Paf Joe neck. The second is the more versatile and a bit clearer. The first is more powerful and fuller sounding.