Active mount

• 10 Replies

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
Active mount
« on: December 12, 2017, 02:27:03 PM »
I emailed Dimarzio the other day asking if they made active mount versions of a few of the pickups I was interested in, such as the Super Distortion, Tone Zone, Air Norton and the PAF. I was looking to swap out the Duncans (Pegasus/Sentiment) in my Ibanez 7 string.
They said they weren’t compatible with active mounts.
Has anybody found a way to overcome this or am I stuck with using a different brand?

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
Re: Active mount
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »
Ok, thanks anyway

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:08:10 PM »
I don't really get what you are asking. Are you wanting to swap your Pegasus/sentient for a set of active pickups?

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
Active mount
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:33:37 AM »
I wanted to swap the Pegasus/sentiment set for a set of Dimarzio passives (tone zone, Super D etc.)that will fit an active mount.
However, it seems that Dimarzio doesn’t make an active mount type pickup. The question was, has anybody managed to find a way to install Dimarzio’s in an active pickup rout without having to rerout the pickup cavity. Or am I stuck buying Duncans?
Sorry if my original wording was unclear.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:36:45 AM by gtrjunior »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
Active mount. Direct mount.

Would the pickups mount direct to the body or in a pick guard?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »
No pick  guard.  They mount like a p90 except the top mount screws are on the far ends and not between the poles (like a p90).
This is what’s in the guitar currently.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/pegasus-7-strg-active-mount

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
Active mount
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 04:43:41 PM »
so those mount into the body?

the dimensions on the DiMarzio 7-strings ( http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/7_String_Pickup_Dimensions.PDF ) are a little wide, unless you'd like to do a little surgery on the base plate.  or... if you know a qualified guitar tech that you trust to route out the pup cavities for the mounting feet.

it's unfortunate that DiMarzio appears to not have options for that.  they were on the forefront of the 7 string pups back in the day.  hard to imagine they'd let such a thing slip past.

have you considered the Fishman Fluence 7-string.  they have that active mount for the Modern, the Steph Carpenter, and the Tosin Abasi 7-string sets.  I'm not sure about the Devin Townsend set that's coming out next month.

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
Active mount
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »
Yeah, it’s a bummer that Dimarzio doesn’t have more options.
Even though the Iron Label is marketed as a metal guitar I’m not really a metal player. More of a rock/hard rock guy.
I’m aware of the Fishman pickups but I don’t know a whole lot about them. And if I’m not mistaken the other guys you mentioned are more on the metal side so I’m not sure their particular pickups are for me.
I have a Super Distortion in my LP and a Tone Zone p90 on order for my LP Special. So that’s more the tone I’m looking for.  I know Duncan has some offerings but tbh, I’m really more of a Dimarzio fan....not that Duncan’s aren’t really good pickups, I just gravitate toward the Dimarzio’s.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 08:02:42 PM »
I’m pretty firmly in the high output high octane riff rock of the 80s and the guys on the R&D team at Fishman keep telling me that I’d like the Tosin set. I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

The Steph Carpenter Set is pretty much a modified version of their Modern set.

They do steer a little more toward the slightly more extreme metal players and I keep hoping they will let the pendulum swing back the other direction at some point.

Russ Parish (Steel Panther’s Satchel) uses the Classic set, but I don’t know if they come in the 7-string chassis that you need. Maybe check their website for more info on that one.

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
I will check those out. Thanks man!