Hi + Need Suggestion: High-output 'bucker like Transition

• 5 Replies

Offline Eric_T_Amble

• View Profile
Hi + Need Suggestion: High-output 'bucker like Transition
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »
Hi everybody,

This is my first thread at the forum (though I read it regularly), and I need some help!
I'm building a new Ibanez-JS-like guit-fiddle, and here's the situation:
  • Guitar: Alder superstrat, maple neck + rosewood board, Floyd (blocked off), 500K vol. pot, no tone pot
  • Amp: Axe-FX II, usually boosted JCM 800s and Plexis with Greenback/V30 simulations
  • Situation: lone guitarist in "full" hard rock band: drums, bass, keyboard, lead + harmony vocals
  • Need: Bridge position, dynamic, hot, thick, "3D-sounding" 'bucker with tight lows and smooth highs that will still cut for solos and cut down on the Ibanez "chainsaw" sound.
  • I've tried: Evo 2 (great, want a little less highs), Super Dist (too much bass, too grainy and compressed), Tone Zone (lows are loose), D Activator Neck (trebly, don't like "active" sound), Transition Bridge (absolutely awesome, I just wonder if I can do even better with just a little less low mids?).

I'm wondering about a Gravity Storm Bridge or a Breed Bridge... or whatever everybody thinks is a good choice. What does everybody think? Please help! I want to play one note and have people say "Oh my God, a GUITAR HERO is on the scene!"  ;D

Thanks, best wishes,
Eric

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Hi + Need Suggestion: High-output 'bucker like Transition
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
when you ask for "bucker with tight lows and smooth highs that will still cut for solos"

I'd start with the Imperium or the Dominion.

but then you ask for "a little less low mids" than the Transiontion

so how about the Satchur8 or the Illuminator
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Eric_T_Amble

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
Thanks!

Is it possible, nowadays, to get a Satchur8 or--as I guess they call it now--a Magnetar? I don't see anything about it on the DiMarzio site.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:12:11 AM »
No real "go to" recommendation but if you found the Tone Zone too loose, stay away from the Breed bridge - it is similar to the TZ but does have a smoother top end, or in other words, has less top end sizzle. No experience with the Gravity Storm.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 06:10:37 AM »
Thanks!

Is it possible, nowadays, to get a Satchur8 or--as I guess they call it now--a Magnetar? I don't see anything about it on the DiMarzio site.

The Satchur8 is supposed to be the current official name. 

I ordered mine direct from the company. People there should probably know it by either name.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Eric_T_Amble

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »
My Satchur8 (Not "Magnetar", though that's how it was advertised) has arrived and is soldered in! Hang tight for a bit of a review...