Trying to Decide Which Pickups To Pick for my Flying V.

• 19 Replies

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
Trying to Decide Which Pickups To Pick for my Flying V.
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:23:36 AM »
Hello everyone!
I'm about to buy some new pickups for my Gibson Flying V that has an Alnico II Pro (Slash) set installed.
I'm having some issues with that guitar. While I do like the good cleans, it takes too much time (loud) to get to the ''good tones''. Also! Both pickups are unmatched. I like to play with the tone knob rolled for a ''mellower'' (but really clean/bright) sound. The APH-2 neck provides a good sound, but sometimes I feel it's to bassy/bright. At the same spot, the bridge pickups gets muddy and doesn't have the output, rawness, and ''life'' I need; that it happens to get when the tone knob gets at 5-6 (totally changing the character of the guitar).   This wouldn't be a problem with a two tone/ two volume guitar, but mine has only one tone knob/2 volume.  I would like to have something balanced that changes dynamics at the same time, meaning toggling neck/bridge without having any kind of tone mismatch. I have a SH-5/59n combination on one of my guitars that does that job perfectly, but I would like something different this time.  I also would like to have more output on the bridge position, and a lil' more on the neck.

I had a great experience with the Super Distortion once, so in my mind it's the one to get. This will be my first Dimarzio purchase. Now I'm thinking which route should I go. I have asked several pros about it and have different answers

Super Distortion/ PAF36 DP103
Super Distortion/ Paf PRO
Super Distortion/ Transition neck
Super Distortion/Illuminator neck

I have considered other full set combinations like the Dimarzio 59's, the PAF 36's and the Transition.

I really don't know which way to go yet.

My amp is a Blackstar HT-40. I get my main distortion from the amp, light OD (for at the point of break-up) sounds.

I hope you can help me make the best choice.
Thank you!

PS. Just in case, the main problems are:
#1 Tone unmatched (need a combination that there's not much difference between pickups at the time of toggling = no need to use the tone knob all the time except for solos)

#2 Want more output in the bridge. The neck could use a little more.
#3 Fuller sound in the bridge. Not farty,boomy neck but with good bass
#4 Would love a RAW Rock sounding bridge pickup and a neck pickup that can keep up.  I like soulful leads. Can solo, but can't play fast aka ''shred''.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to Decide Which Pickups To Pick for my Flying V.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 04:00:48 AM »
I hear you - it is the exact same thing that I experience with two humbucker guitars, and I came to the conclusion that I want my bridge pickup to be stronger than the neck pickup in order to have the balance of power and tone that I want.

If the Super Distortion is set for the bridge, any PAF type pickup should work in the neck. Keep in mind though that the PAF Pro is not a PAF in a technical sense but still a good sounding pickup, although my experience with that pickup is limited to the bridge position. I definitely would swap out the APH-2 neck - I had one and found it extremely muddy. I think both the 36 Anniversary (not the bridge model) and the Air Classic would be good. I have also seen comments by people that swear by the Super 2 in the neck but that would be radically different from what you have now.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
Hello Stephan!
Thank you for replying to this post.
You and I share the same taste on the bridge > neck situation on our guitars. The guitar's bridge sound is so important to the overall sound. It could be described as the main sound for the guitar. I use mine for distorted leads and rhythm playing. I may also use it for cleans at times, but I do use the neck position more for cleans/break-up and more sound. You could say a little ''cooler'' than the bridge, but that it balances well and keeps up with the bridge without the need of moving the tone knob to counteract like it happens with the APH-2.

When I started pickup changing, my third pickup was the notorious Pearly Gates neck pickup, because ''it's the best bla, bla, bla''. It couldn't keep up with the SH-5 Duncan Custom in the bridge and some people said: ''the combination sounds amazing, don't change anything, bla, bla''. The thing is that the pickup couldn't keep up with the bridge position bass. It seems like a super treble, no bass version of the APH-2. While I sometimes think it could have solved my actual situation, that may only be my mind playing tricks. I could nail Santana's sound with it, but it didn't work out for the whole picture. A 59' neck with the boomy comments, excess bass, and all that... fixed the issue. Everything in that guitar runs smoothly now and it's my #1 guitar. While it's my #1 guitar and many would say to repeat the pickup config, I don't plan to do it. While I love the guitar sound and perfection, it's too heavy/beefy dark sounding and it's perfect for that hard rock to metal vibe. Very, very strong guitar; and while I love that, I want to experiment going on other direction.

I played the Super Distortion on an Ibanez guitar from a family member (the same person I sold my Pearly Gates neck and where the pickup is now) and it was such an amazing fun experience. I couldn't stop playing that guitar and said I while someday buy one. That someday may be now. That KISS, Boston, Def Leppard and many others used it before me wasn't a factor, but I knew I had a professional, CD Quality pickup in my hands.  Cleans may be ''generic'', but they're there. It didn't result to be the overdrive beast most people seem afraid to have. All the experience was good.

Getting back to the main issue here, I don't think the APH-2 neck in my guitar is moody. Both pickups are very bright sounding but they could use more output in both positions, and definitely more cut and be more aggressive in the bridge position.

So at the moment, it would be the classic Super D + PAF 36th DP103?
I tried the PAF Pro (in the neck) once in a mahogany guitar. It seemed like an improved Seymour Duncan 59' to my ears.

I wrote about the Transitions since Dimarzio's tech recommended one in the neck position, and many people say they're an improved (ceramic) take on the PAF36th set. The thing is Lukather uses a longer scale, different wood, and even an active preamp on his guitar. There's not much information about them in mahogany guitars.

I'm not afraid to use bridge pickups as neck since I have bridge single coils on the neck and middle position on my Strat. I really want to be satisfied, but Dimarzio's marketing department makes it harder for everyone. Everythings seems ''high output'' and made for long scale, Ibanez and basswood guitars.
They should provide at least a hint on which guitars the pickups would be good. They don't seem to be close-minded as other pickup makers/users and want buyers to experience with all their products, but not getting it right is why many buyers want to exchange the pickup. It would be good if their marketing department works on that.

I appreciate your help Stephan. I appreciate if you or other forum member could keep brainstorming with here. About the Super 2, it seems like a cool idea but it's ''the same pickup'' just EQ'd different. Really would like something different there.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:18:45 PM »
Super Distortion Bridge, Super 2 neck.

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »
Thanks man!
Is the Super 2 the real deal in the neck position? Will I get other kinds of tone too or is it like the same tone, but ''fixed'' to bridge/neck position?

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
The Super 2 matches the Super D perfectly and handles high gain well without mudding up. Neither the Super D or the Super 2 are the MOST versatile pickup you can choose, if that is what you are after. They do fit what you described in the original post perfectly.

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 11:05:23 AM »
Thanks ''greenlion'' for the help!
Will definitely consider the Super D/Super 2 combination as one for a hard rocking machine/sound.

I was seeing these days that Phil Collen from Def Leppard has a D-Activator X pickup in the neck of his guitar.

I know that's a totally different guitar than mine in scale, woods, looks and everything; but would like to know how that configuration would sound in my setting. I imagine like a high gain monster, not so good for cleans. I have experience playing EMG's (not mine, but still).

Just would like to make some more research. I still believe the Super D is the major contender for the bridge position. I also read good things about the Norton in the bridge. I just would love a big, raw, authoritative sound in the bridge position, and a neck that could help keep up with it. For the moment, the Seymour Duncan 59' neck (with Roughcast magnet) could be used as a point of reference. That's the one I'm most familiar with and that I have had good results with. Of course! This is a whole different guitar and a situation. Definitely the neck has to be higher out than an APH-2. The bridge can be close to the JB or SH-5 Pickups from Seymour Duncan in terms of output. For sound we can go in another direction. 

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
I’ve got a Super Distortion/36th anniversary in my Les Paul. Couldn’t be happier.

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »
Thanks! I was just about to place the order for the PAF36 neck, just about to...
But I have been reading the Dimarzio Transition (neck) is a ''juiced'' Dimarzio PAF36 pickup.
I'm a little scared, but already pulled the trigger for it.

I'm still deciding if go FULL TRANSITION SET or the Dimarzio Super Distortion...
It feels weird when you're not familiar with a brand of products. I hope I didn't make a mistake...

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
I would go super D bridge and paf neck. The super 2 neck is, IMO, too close in sound to the super D bridge - I like a bit more difference. Soulful leads sounds more like a paf neck than a super 2 neck.

Compared to the custom/59 combo, the super D is more raw sounding and more bass/mids, the paf is again more mids, more singing tone and not as boomy.

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 05:09:38 PM »
Thanks! I was just about to place the order for the PAF36 neck, just about to...
But I have been reading the Dimarzio Transition (neck) is a ''juiced'' Dimarzio PAF36 pickup.
I'm a little scared, but already pulled the trigger for it.

I'm still deciding if go FULL TRANSITION SET or the Dimarzio Super Distortion...
It feels weird when you're not familiar with a brand of products. I hope I didn't make a mistake...
If you don’t like the Transition and want the 36th instead, you can exchange within 30 days so keep the receipt.

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
Yeah! Reading Mark's reply and you (gtrjunior) now, I should have gone with the 36th.
I'm seeing Youtube videos now and I got mixed feelings. Seems like it has a lot of bass and gets muddy. There's no information of it in a full mahogany guitar (only maple top/mahogany, alder, and basswood).

Should I return it for a refund or give it a try?
Which are your opinions about it?

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
It is bassy, and i can see how it could be muddy, but I kind of like the loose feel it has when playing low notes under gain. In the middle and upper registers I feel like it really sings.
Despite it listed as a vintage output pickup, I find it to be pretty powerful. It keeps up with the Super D easily.
For me, I found that I needed to play around with pickup height a little to find where both pickups sounded best.
Since you already ordered the Transition you may as well install it and see what you think. You can always swap later.

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 09:09:58 PM »
Yeah! That's the part that bothers me. I hear too much bass, lack of clarity, jazzy sound in the demos. Should have waited out... About the Dimarzio Warranty. How does it work? It would between the PAF Pro or the PAF 36 DP103.

It seems like the Transition is better suited for Alder and Basswood guitars. I just digged the ''PAF36 on steroids'' comments I read.  So according to you (gtrjunior) there really seems to be a Super D/Transition mismatch?

The other humbucker guitar I could install it to would be my Gibson SG with the 498t/490r (a dark guitar). My Flying V is definitely on the brighter side, that could help.

I'm still worried about the muddy/too much bass part. The APH-2 is bassy as it's, if the Transition (neck) is bigger sounding...
But as you said, somebody has to try the combination. Nobody has written about Transition on a full mahogany/24 3/4 scale guitar.

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 05:37:55 AM »
Make sure you keep the receipt, boxes and everything you get with the pickup. Then on the Dimarzio website under the “support” tab, you should find this page:

http://www.dimarzio.com/faq

I can’t really comment on how the Transition will match up with the Super D....I just don’t have any experience with the Transition. So I don’t want to say one way or another. All I can say is that I’m happy with the 36th that I have. It a classic, time tested combo imo. You may or may not like it. You’ll have to check it out for yourself.