59 or air classic for HSS bridge?

• 4 Replies

Offline daz

• View Profile
59 or air classic for HSS bridge?
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:12:05 PM »
Bought a 36th but i don't like it at all, as it's much too mid heavy and ootput os much hotter then i thought. I want more of a low output HB thats not way hotter then my van zandts in my alder rosewood SSS like the 36th is. I really want something thats very dynamic and clear with no nasal quality. A good description might be single coil clarity and dynamics to some degree with the fullness of a HB. The 59 appealed to me due to being a more true PAF design unlike the 36th, but then i saw the air classic and that slightly scooped mid and similar output made me think that might be the better choice than the 59. Any thoughts?

marcwormjim

Re: 59 or air classic for HSS bridge?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:16:56 PM »
I’d personally go with the Air Classic or Bluesbucker tried facing each way. Bear in mind that the 59 is arguably intended for only the boutique Gibson market (long LP mounting legs, Gibson spacing, “vintage braided two wire-only, etc.).

Offline daz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:23:56 PM »
Ahhh, didn't think of that, thanks. Anyone have thoughts ion the airbucker for someone looking for a HSS strat bridge HB that doesn't overpower the heck out of the singles like the 36th did and sounds much more open and transparent?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »
I have a Virtual Hot PAF together with an Area 58 in the middle and an Area 61 in the neck. But if you say that the 36 Anni bridge overpowered your single coils then the Virtual Hot PAF will do the same, unless you change the A5 magnet to a weaker one, e.g. an A2. So I also would say Air Classic or Bluesbucker, but this is without first hand experience in the bridge with any of these.

Cheers Stephan 
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »
I have a Virtual Hot PAF together with an Area 58 in the middle and an Area 61 in the neck. But if you say that the 36 Anni bridge overpowered your single coils then the Virtual Hot PAF will do the same, unless you change the A5 magnet to a weaker one, e.g. an A2. So I also would say Air Classic or Bluesbucker, but this is without first hand experience in the bridge with any of these.

Cheers Stephan

Man, I was just thinking earlier that it’s a blasted shame they won’t still offer the VHPAF. Excellent pickup.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram