Anyone use the VV Heavy Blues 2 in their Strat?

• 2 Replies

Offline effectsman

• View Profile
Anyone use the VV Heavy Blues 2 in their Strat?
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:14:26 AM »
I've got an alder Strat that is a bit bright and I want more mid range from the guitar rather than the mid scoop that single coils often have. The B/M/T readings for the Heavy Blues 2 suggest they have a heavily emphasised mid range. There doesn't seem to be many users or reviews of them. Is there something better for a Strat to get more mid range? Any users experiences?

I'm thinking of using them in the neck and middle with a Virtual Solo in the bridge.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone use the VV Heavy Blues 2 in their Strat?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:27:33 AM »
I have one in the neck spot of an ash body maple neck strat. Middle is an Injector neck, Bridge a humbucker loosely modelled after the JB. 500k pots, separate tone control on the bridge pickup.

I primarily chose the HB2 to match better with the humbucker volume wise. It does have a bit more midrange than the low output vintage type strat pickups but it still sounds like a strat and not like a P90, minihumbucker or humbucker. Insofar I do not quite agree with the tone chart. Things may sound different though with 250k pots which I have not tried with this particular set up. Still I would say if you want a more humbucker like tone the HB2 is not for that. I would look to the Chopper or Satch Track instead.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone use the VV Heavy Blues 2 in their Strat?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 04:53:02 AM »
Forgot to mention: what I use with the Virtual Solo in the bridge is Area 67 in the neck and Area 58 in the middle but that is a traditional strat set up and again nothing to get more midrange out of.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b