Pickups in Ibby S5570Q-RBS

• 3 Replies

Offline engl72

• View Profile
Pickups in Ibby S5570Q-RBS
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
Dear all,
I would need to replace the pickups on my Ibanez S5570, as I am after Petrucci / DT tones.
The Hot Grinders are pretty nice, but the bridge pickup gets a bit muddy under heavy distortion in my opinion. I would like to get a tight, aggressive, clear tone for rhythm parts and a cutting sound for solos.
I could get the CL / LF combo, but I do not know if they fit this guitar. I was also thinking to a D-Activator for the bridge, or may be a Duncan Custom/Distortion. I also know that the middle pickup in the 5570 is not reverse polarity, so replacing the bridge may also require to replace the middle pickup (a True Velvet could be a good candidate for it?)
Any suggestion?
Thanks !!!

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Pickups in Ibby S5570Q-RBS
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:42:46 AM »
When you say “fit this guitar”, are you referring to the tone match or if the pickups will physically fit?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline engl72

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 10:51:56 AM »
Actually both (tone match and pickup size)
I have been told that not all the pickups fit into the S5470/S5570, or may be just a problem with the screws and not of the baseplate.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:07:48 PM by engl72 »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »
I don't think you will have trouble with the humbuckers, unless they have long baseplate legs like pickups out of Les Paul. I do remember having trouble installing a different single coil into an Ibanez S guitar years ago. It may have been a stacked middle... I can't remember for sure. The cavity was too tight.